Hatzolah EMS

I have seen a lot of the Hatzolah EMS in some of the photo slideshows. Just wanted to know a little about them. Are they Paid or Volunteer? Who dispatches them?  How are they notified of a run? What areas do they cover?

They are dispatched by their own dispatchers. They cater to the Ultra Orthodox Jewish communities in the city. I believe they are half volunteer/paid. They cover Williamsburg, Crown Heights, Midwood, they have a bus that sits on Lexington between 85 and 84. I also believe they have a pretty big presence in Rockland and Orange Counties.

There's also a Hatzolah unit that operates in Nassau County, on the south shore and into the Rockaways in Queens.  Here's a link to their web site:

http://www.hatzalahrl.org/index.php

And to the overall Hatzolah web site, that tells you where else they operate:

http://www.hatzolahems.org/hatzolahs.html

They are one of the largest volunteer EMS organizations in the world with divisions in the U.S. (NY, NJ, MD, PA, CT, FL, CA and IL), Canada, Mexico, England, Belgium, Switzerland, Russia, Austrailia, South Africa and of course...Israel.

They have at least 24 ambulances in NYC . . . ref:  http://www.hatzalah.org/duringAttack.php

They only respond to Jewish, I was on an MVA with them about a year ago, they took care of the Jewish people that were involved but the other care they would not touch. The other car had a serious injury. They were first on scene and once they found out one car was non Jewish people Hatzolah refused to treat and walked away.

Is EMT in NY issued/revoked by the state. Where is their duty to act and wouldn't it be abandonment like memory master said?

Bulldog

Bulldog
Roofman4 said:
Is EMT in NY issued/revoked by the state. Where is their duty to act and wouldn't it be abandonment like memory master said?
Sure seems like it would be!

Recent news about them:    http://www.silive.com/newsflash/index.ssf/story/nyc-jewish-women-want-to-join-all-male/f0664aa2c3dd401c9bc6082b0c845657

Shadiest gaggle of raga-muffins I've ever come across.  Their ambulance can usually been seen on Speeding up or down the FDR, lights and sirens, with two people up front, passing every hospital along the way.  They are either going to KJ, New Square or Willaimsburgh, BK.

In the 80s they killed a fireman by tubing him wrong.  They are not on the MARs system through EMS, not are they used at boxes.  They may involve themselves only if it's a orthodox person....but that's all.  They will call city EMS units in the event they require ALS intercepts. 

I could be near death, and I would get on a city bus before I'd ever get in the back of one of their "ambulances."

Sorry if some feel my comments are inflammatory, but I only cite my personal experience with this "agency". 

LosBomberos2811 said:
Shadiest gaggle of raga-muffins I've ever come across.  Their ambulance can usually been seen on Speeding up or down the FDR, lights and sirens, with two people up front, passing every hospital along the way.  They are either going to KJ, New Square or Willaimsburgh, BK.

In the 80s they killed a fireman by tubing him wrong.  They are not on the MARs system through EMS, not are they used at boxes.  They may involve themselves only if it's a orthodox person....but that's all.  They will call city EMS units in the event they require ALS intercepts. 

I could be near death, and I would get on a city bus before I'd ever get in the back of one of their "ambulances."

Sorry if some feel my comments are inflammatory, but I only cite my personal experience with this "agency".
I agree with you and I'm sure there's a few more here that do too. ;)

Does anyone remember the name of the firefighter or location of the fire where they incorrectly intubated?