HAZMAT - Substance ID

Good morning people. As i continue to write and update my organisations training material i was after any suggestions on methods of identifying Hazards substances in a HAZMAT Incident. So far i have the following, please share anything i have missed.

I appreciate any pointers
Thanks team.

• Placarding, labels & pictograms
  • Local knowledge (truck driver, compound manager/supervisor)
  • Shipping manifests
  • Safety Data Sheets
  • physical properties, Colour, smell, state (gas, solid, liquid)

Thanks for the reply. I have not come across that. i just looked it up, does that just cater for radioactive material? or does it dectect other substances. It does prompt me however to include a gas detector in there.

Thanks for the reply. I have not come across that. i just looked it up, does that just cater for radioactive material? or does it dectect other substances. It does prompt me however to include a gas detector in there.
Just radioactive isotopes, but metering as a whole between 4-Gases, chlorine meters, etc.

What do you do when you have an unknown which in some places is more than 50% 0f your Haz Mat runs. You have to use the meters to rule in rule out. Begin with the stay alive 5 meters which keep the first responders from getting hurt: LEL meter, Radiation survey meter, temperature gun, pH Paper and F Paper. Then move on to the toxic meters: PID, FID, Halogen/Freon Detector, Colormetric tubes, KI paper, AP4C, Protein swabs, ATP meter, M8/M9 paper, and then the identifier meters: FTIR/Raman, HP MS, and GC MS, portable PCR and Isotope identifinders. If you master the meters and master an understanding of chemical and physical properties you will master the rest of Haz mat

Never forget interviews with people who have knowledge of what involved. This could be driver and train crew member, a site foreman, a supervisor or technician on the scene. For Railroad related incidents contact, railroad call numbers, the "Ask Rail" online site. CHEMTREK and a call to Poison Control also help. Most of all if you are not properly trained retreat and wait for, a well-trained Haz. Mat. team or teams. Military facilities often have trained Haz. Mat, personnel. Even if lives are at danger don't make the problem worse by attempting well intended by unsafe entry into the "Hot Zone". This is just a start of what's available and the training that will be needed. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Don’t forget to use the copological indicator as well. The first arriving unit will undoubtedly find a police car parked up next to the spill or leak attempting to wave us closer as we pause to size up from a distance. The clues present - if the police car is running with the emergency 🚨 lights on the product is not flammable, if the paint is still on the cop car it is not corrosive and if the cop is still standing it is not poisonous!!!!! 🤣🤣