Heading to the City this weekend

The obvious answer to this question is, stay away.  However, we have had a trip planned to New York since this time last year for the Andy Fredericks Seminar being held up in Elmsford this Saturday.  We have made this trip every year for the past 10 years, and have nine brothers coming up this year.  Always a good time, but this year there is this little football game that is bringing about 400,000 more people to the NYC area.  We will be coming up Thursday from Virginia, and usually hit the GW Bridge about 1500 hrs.  I am reading about all the traffic nightmares in NYC this weekend.  Any suggestions for alternate routes, maybe the Tappen Zee?  We usually try to make it to the Fire Museum on Friday, don't know if we will try this.  Also we'll hopefully be at the Rock on Friday and maybe the 343.  Other than that, we will probably stick to the outer boroughs. Although, I am very fond of McSorleys and would really like to turn up a few there!

Any thoughts or suggestions will help, is the traffic going to be as bad as predicted?

Thanks.

I think you're easiest route is the one you mentioned. Yes, you will hit traffic from the GWB all the way across the Cross Bronx Expwy. and up the New England Thruway. Now this is a more mileage route, but if you take I-95 north and then take I-287 north all the way to the end it will put you on the NYS Thruway just north of the Tappan Zee Bridge. Take the Tap across the Hudson into New York and go all the way across (I Believe it's still 287) back to 95 and then to your destination. More mileage but quite possibly less cussing. Hope this helps. ;D    Have a safe trip gents.