HEARING IMPAIRED ALARM SIGNALLING.

Resources for the Hearing Impaired: How to Get Help From NYC Call Boxes and Pay Phones
This video provides information for individuals who are hearing impaired, as well as those who are unable to voice, about how to request emergency services (including fire, emergency medical services and police) from public pay phones and emergency call boxes. View Video.........the click on for the video does not seem to paste here .....if you go to FDNYinsider......you can access the link to activate the video.

fdnyinsider.org

It used to be the old 2-3 tap for FD back when I got on the job. I forget when it was changed. I think 10 yrs ago. Funny story, we had a guy swear up and down it was a deaf-mute, and we transmitted the box. Upon arrival, 28 Truck asked, "You got a 10-7?? The deaf-mute also appears to be the Invisible Man."

Thank you for posting this and the explaination. Since the ERS Boxes were first put into place, I guess in the late 70s, I always wondered what somebody would do who couldn't speak or hear. I figured that there must be some kind of special code used to summons Emergency help. I now have learned the answer. I would hope that anyone visiting NYC would also be aware of this.

HCO

The video mentioned was made by the FDNY Audio/Visual Unit in 2001 and has been on NYC area hearing/speech impaired websites since.  It was not put on the FDNY website until yesterday.