Historic Firehouses - National/International Departments

nfd2004 said:
Thank you 'mack" for posting all the photo info for these fire houses. It's a great thread and one that I have put into my "saved files favorites".

And "fdny1075", what can I say but "thank you". I don't know how you do it, but you get alot of information and take the time to post it for us. Thank you and a Great job. And I know this might be a little off track here, but I know him personelly. A young guy who goes to college in New Rochelle, NY and is a volunteer member of the Shelton, Ct Fire Dept. (work wise, the Shelton Fire Dept is the busiest volly dept in the state). A young guy who I feel is a credit to his generation.
Thank you Willy "D". Fire department history, and the fire service in general is, as you can probably tell, a favorite past time of mine. And thank you for those words of praise. I try to do what I can.

Some info on several fire departments mentioned above.

The York Fire Department currently runs 4 Engines, 1 Truck, and 1 Service Unit(Rescue) out of 4 Fire Stations located throughout the city, under the command of a Deputy Chief per shift. The YFD is a combination paid/volunteer fire department and currently responds to approximately 3,000 calls annually. The York Fire Department protects nearly 44,000 people living in 5 square miles. York also served as our nation's capital for a brief amount of time during the American Revolution. York Fire Headquarters and Peabody, MA Fire Headquarters are also, currently, the oldest active firehouses in America.

Active YFD Firehouses:

Engine 99-1, Truck 99-1 - 49 S. Duke St.
Engine 99-2, Service 99, Chief 99, Chief 99-1 - 273 W. Market St.
Engine 99-5 - 833 E. Market St.
Engine 99-9 - 800 Roosevelt Ave.

Former YFD Firehouses still standing:

Engine 4 - 300 Blk. of George St.(Engine 4 moved and was closed)
Engine 6 - 757 W. Market St.
Engine 7 - Jackson St. and Jessop St.(Engine 7 moved and was closed)

The New Haven Fire Department currently runs 10 Engines, 4 Trucks, 2 Squads, and 2 EMS "Emergency Units" (1 ALS transport, 1 non-transport) out of 10 Fire Stations, located throughout the city in 2 Battalions, the East Battalion and the West Battalion. Each Battalion is commanded by a Battalion Chief. There is also a Deputy Chief on duty per shift. The NHFD responds to around 24,000 calls annually and goes to the most "Working Fires" in the state of Connecticut, known as "Signal 73's" in New Haven. The NHFD currently serves the second largest city in the state, protecting nearly 131,000 people living in 18 square miles.

Active NHFD Firehouses:

Engine 4, Truck 1, Car 32(Deputy Chief) - 952 Grand Ave.
Engine 5, Emergency Unit 1 - 824 Woodward Ave.
Engine 6, Truck 4 - 125 Goffe St.
Engine 8, Squad 1 - 315 Whitney Ave.
Engine 9, Squad 2, Car 34(West Battalion Chief) - 120 Ellsworth Ave.
Engine 10, Truck 3, Car 33(East Battalion Chief) -  412 Lombard St.
Engine 11, Truck 2, Emergency Unit 2 - 525 Howard Ave.
Engine 15 - 105 Fountain St.
Engine 16 - 510 Lighthouse Rd.
Engine 17 - E. Grand Ave. & Lenox St.
Marine 1 - Long Wharf
Car 44(Foam Unit), ARFF Crash Units - Tweed New Haven Regional Airport

Former NHFD Firehouses still standing:

Engine 3 - 338 Elm St.(Engine 3 moved and was closed)
Engine 8, Truck 6 - 19 Edwards St.(Engine 8 moved, Truck 6 moved and was closed)
Engine 12 - 47 Crown St.
Engine 14 - 150 Highland St.(Engine 14 moved and was closed)

And, nfd2004's department, Norwich, CT. Bill, feel free to add to or correct anything about the NFD that I've posted here.

The Norwich Fire Department currently runs 2 Engines, 1 Truck, and 1 Squad out of 2 Fire Stations, located throughout the city in under the command of a Battalion Chief per shift. The NFD currently protects nearly 41,000 people living in 28 square miles. The paid Norwich Fire Department is supplemented by the East Great Plains, Laurel Hill, Occum, Taftville, and Yantic volunteer fire departments, also located in and outside of Norwich. I believe the quarters of Engine 2 at 446 N. Main St. is the oldest active firehouse in Connecticut.

Active NFD Firehouses:

Squad A, Engine 3, Truck 1, Battalion 1, Car 1(Chief of Department), Car 10(Safety), Forestry 1 - 19 N. Thames St.
Engine 2 - 446 N. Main St.

Former NFD Firehouses still standing:

Engine 1, Truck 1, Squad A - 24 Chestnut St.(Engine 1 closed, Truck 1 and Squad A moved)
Engine 3 - 15 Joseph Perkins Rd.(Engine 3 closed)
Engine 6 - 195 W. Thames St.