"Hook" Companies

Are there any Companies or Special units that are hard to get into unless you know someone? If so what are they? Im assuming Rescue and Haz-Mat could be considered hook companies.

Obviously not been a NYC Firefighter, but a fireifghter in London, UK, i can only say what i imagine to be the case.

I wouldnt have thought Hazmat would be a sought after company, howver if one had desires to get into Hazmat then i amagine 'knowing someone' can only be an advantage, simmilarly rescue, and squad companies, which i would imagine would be more popular for guys who have done time on trucks and engines, knowing a member or officer, and having your name mentioned in the kitchen around the table at the right time can only be a plus im sure..

I would have a guess at companies guys want to go to from proby school or trnasfer into, and my guess' are;

E58/L26
E62/L32
E75/TL33
E290/L103

Im not sure about the busy midtown companies, are they sought after postings?? E1/L24, E65 and E54/L4, busy but not much fire... the serving members will probably be bale to correct me.

In London, the stations sought after are Soho, in the smack centre of the theatre and clubbing and nightlife district, and ridiculasly busy at times, ( i have done nights there as a ladder driver, and not seen the inside of the station the whole night, its quieter now than it used to be, but still busy), Paddington, Tottenham and Dagenham.

JT

Back in my dad's day, 1937 thru 1958 and probably thereafter, Chief's son's etc. went to L2, L4, L24 as they were the "bon-ton" companies in midtown Manhattan.

In 64 I was sent to 103 from proby school as punishment.  The guys in the co. asked me who I knew!  All I did was piss somebody off.

L-103(ret) said:
In 64 I was sent to 103 from proby school as punishment.  The guys in the co. asked me who I knew!  All I did was piss somebody off.

lol what did yo do L-103(ret)?? or can you say

L-103(ret) said:

I'm sure I posted this tale before, so for newcomers I'll do it again; The was a FF assigned to a midtown Manhattan company back in the 1940's. Some how he managed to really piss off a Deputy Chief. This guy lived in the north end of the Bronx and did not have a car so he went by bus and subway to work and home. He was transferred to the outer reaches of Staten Island. Now remember, in those days there was not a Verrazzano bridge so he had to use the ferry as well as anothe bus in his commute. He bought a house in S.I. to end his problem. Well, not quite..he was subsequently transferred back to the Bronx. I suppose he must have REALLY pissed this guy off to no end to have that done to him. By the way, there was no UFA in those days either.

Irish,,, I gave Lt.Nemachek(sp),  one of the instructors some lip every chance I could cause he was a bully and I wasn't a 19 year old kid to take his hassle.  In retrospect he did me a favor,  That 16 yrs was the most fun I ever had with my clothes on!

memory master said:
L-103(ret) said:

I'm sure I posted this tale before, so for newcomers I'll do it again; The was a FF assigned to a midtown Manhattan company back in the 1940's. Some how he managed to really piss off a Deputy Chief. This guy lived in the north end of the Bronx and did not have a car so he went by bus and subway to work and home. He was transferred to the outer reaches of Staten Island. Now remember, in those days there was not a Verrazzano bridge so he had to use the ferry as well as anothe bus in his commute. He bought a house in S.I. to end his problem. Well, not quite..he was subsequently transferred back to the Bronx. I suppose he must have REALLY pissed this guy off to no end to have that done to him. By the way, there was no UFA in those days either.

Staten Island worked a totally different chart in the 1940's then today they worked 8hr tours. My Father was assigned to Engine 154 when he was appointed. To get there from Brooklyn was two buses the ferry and another bus

In the '40s the last BN to go to the 15 hr night tours & 9 hr day tours was the 12*BN they held out ( & kept the 8 hr tours) after the rest of the Job went to the new hrs...at the time they were the busiest Companies but were only doing about 1200 runs a year 58/26.. 91/43  .....they eventually  went with the flow but years later the numbers skyrocketed.

My dad's company (E16) used to relocate to 154 occassionally. From East 25th Street, downtown to the ferry and then over to Hannah street. The would grab a friendly neighbor or buff to be the guide for them around the area. There used to be a brewery plant right over there also from what I heard.

memory master said:
My dad's company (E16) used to relocate to 154 occassionally. From East 25th Street, downtown to the ferry and then over to Hannah street. The would grab a friendly neighbor or buff to be the guide for them around the area. There used to be a brewery plant right over there also from what I heard.
MM,
From what my grandmother told me about the brewery it was on van duzer and broad streets about a mile or 2 away from the firehouse. After the brewery went under it was later a night club. I think the name was Demyons (sp?)

I know I read one time that 34 Truck was a "HOOK" company.  Don't you guys use the term "Bishop" or "Rabbi" for someone with juice who looks out for the career of another?

L-103(ret) said:

wait a second....aren't you the L-103 guy that was an aux. back in the day....... what are you talking about with the proby school comment?

Att:B.S mith        I don't even know what an aux. is ...I took the test in 62 or 3, not sure anymore,  wrote an 86 and was called in a year and a half.