Hoses

Bulldog

Bulldog
mac8146 said:
I dont have an answer as to why the short suction we have now is 4 1/2 threads with 3 1/2 hose, the FDNY now asks the chauffeurs to attach a single gate to the unused 2 1/2 outlet on the hydrant so if needed we can attach a line to this gate and inline the pumper with another feed from hydrant.
I've always had a lot of respect for FDNY's procedures and tactics but I'm not so sure after reading this about how they operate engines.  It seems like somebody isn't talking to somebody else because they order pumps with much more capability than how they're connecting them.  Hopefully somebody will have a valid explanation for why this is done how it is.

H

HAZ-MAT 1

We have 1500GPM engines and we use 2  3 1/2's for anything under 600 ft. and anything over, we use 1 3 1/2 with an engine at the hydrant relaying. Our engines carry 1200ft of 3 1/2 supply line. I guess that's where they get the 600ft of double line. Our hydrants are usually 300ft from each other and either green or orange tops. Our ladders have 5inch with 4 1/2 threads.

Bulldog from what I have been told they ordered these 2000 gpm pumpers due to the situations that happened during 9/11, the water mains in that area were comprimised and water was relayed from fireboats for a time until repairs or rerouting occurred. So I  think the higher ups decided to have larger capacity pumps and drafting available in case of future attacks. Most companies have begun using the 35' connection which will allow capacity to be reached, and as i stated the job has asked chauffeurs to also use a single gate on the unused 2 1/2 outlet on the hydrant to increase flow if needed.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Went to Education day, last week and was told that some units would be getting a  4 1/2 soft hydrant connection just like the older 3 1/2 to test with.

Also a reminder that the 35' yellow doesn't allways have to be used on the front.  Have a few spots were due to Bloomberg changing the streets around need to use it off the side or go with a 50' 3 1/2.  I would rather try the 35' then the 3 1/2 for the volume.

An update, all the companies that are getting the 2000 gpm pumpers are getting a 4 1/2 10foot soft suction with 4" hose size, the older 4 1/2 was 3 or 3 1/2. Waiting to get rig in my house so i can provide further info. Seems like they are listening to companies with regard to being able to fully supply larger pumps.