Incident Duration

Good afternoon everyone.
Before I opened this page, I looked over the site to double check if there's an answer already, but didn't see it.

In the last month or so I keep on hearing by all fires the dispatcher will announce the following: allert tone followed with the message "units into box (1234) the incident duration is now 20 minutes"

So here's the question, why is it? If it's not a new thing why do I keep it on hearing it only lately? Why announce it only by fires and not by other scenes? Etc.

Boston does it as well, I think it is just to remind chiefs how long companies have been working, especially in severe weather conditions, like excessive heat.

Bulldog

Bulldog
I've also heard that it's because of the duration of air in their air packs which also makes sense.

It was just put into play, I was told it was mainly for Non Fire proofs due to 30 min mark would be potential collapse
also as a former Division aide the times would give the Chiefs an idea on whether to give a 2nd alarm or more for that particular job, is there water on the fire, are the companies making progress knocking fire down, location of the fire & has it advanced anywhere else all in the time frame the dispatcher & aides give to the chief.

also as a former Division aide the times would give the Chiefs an idea on whether to give a 2nd alarm or more for that particular job, is there water on the fire, are the companies making progress knocking fire down, location of the fire & has it advanced anywhere else all in the time frame the dispatcher & aides give to the chief.
Aha. Makes sense. Question is why did the Dispatchers stop saying it? And why did they start again to say it lately?

Good afternoon everyone.
Before I opened this page, I looked over the site to double check if there's an answer already, but didn't see it.

In the last month or so I keep on hearing by all fires the dispatcher will announce the following: allert tone followed with the message "units into box (1234) the incident duration is now 20 minutes"

So here's the question, why is it? If it's not a new thing why do I keep it on hearing it only lately? Why announce it only by fires and not by other scenes? Etc.
Everyone who replied to your question on why this done is accurate, but the main reason why it's done is to help prevent the IC from having tunnel vision especially at multiple alarm the the IC have alot of information coming to him and could become focused on just one of many scenarios he needs to keep track of and when the dispatcher let's the IC know how long the incident has been going on it's to help prevent tunnel vision.

Everyone who replied to your question on why this done is accurate, but the main reason why it's done is to help prevent the IC from having tunnel vision especially at multiple alarm the the IC have alot of information coming to him and could become focused on just one of many scenarios he needs to keep track of and when the dispatcher let's the IC know how long the incident has been going on it's to help prevent tunnel vision.
Thanks!