information sent with boxnumbers

in what way information that belongs to a boxnumber is sent to units? I mean what sort of technology is used?

Is it possible to receive this info or is it digital and coded?

F

fdny227

Information is not sent to units for a particular box number. Each address or location in NYC is box driven, meaning a "BOX" is given to each assigment. In our CADS system, we use what we call CIDS (critical information dispatch system) which is put into the cads sysytem for a particular address or location. I.E. the Empire state bldg's cids are like this; 102st bldg, 225x350 cl1, etc. When the address is transmitted that contains CIDS, that information is sent to the radio out dispatcher, as well as to the MDT's of the units responding. if a 10-75 is transmitted or when required, the CIDS will be read over the air to reponding units.

FAD Bill Wade
FDNY dispatcher 227
Manhattan Communications

speaking of the Empire State Building, how often is do companies get dispatched there? From what I've been told it wasn't uncommon for companies to go to the WTC multiple times in one shift.

RPM3311 said:
speaking of the Empire State Building, how often is do companies get dispatched there? From what I've been told it wasn't uncommon for companies to go to the WTC multiple times in one shift.

speaking of the wtc does any one remember  the response assignments for alarms,reported fires,sprinklers,people stuck in an elevator,etc. i recall reading a article a few years back that sometime during the late 80's early 90's that the response was reduced

RPM3311 said:

Companies get called to the Empire State Building, Penn Station, and Grand Central fairly often, maybe a few times a week, usually on Class 3s or reports of smoke.

RPM3311 said:

Empire State gets 3 and 2. Depending on what we had at the Trade Center, dictated the assignment. It was either 1 and 1, or 3 and 2. I knew the two boxes for the Twin Towers within 2 weeks of getting transferred to Manhattan. The Empire State took about a month to memorize.

As far as the information that is sent to units, as my colleague (and former student) Bill said, is pretty much dead on. We get an address of a building, or an intersection. We enter that address into the computer, and get a Box number which coincides to a street corner near the address, or intersection. The box number for that location tells us what units go, by distance from that point on the map.

It is sent to the companies via a teletype circuit. If there is information on a building that the firefighters are responding to, or a building within three doors on either side, the dispatchers know it, but the firefighters only get that info on the teletype ticket if it is for the address they are going to. I hope this explains it to you without giving away too much.