inside an FDNY Division SUV

this truck was from Division 8 which serves Staten Island and southern Brooklyn its a 2002 Ford Excursion. this was taken inside the division 8/Engine 160/Rescue 5 fire house. this was taken towards the end of Febuary
DSCN0020-vi.jpg

DSCN0021-vi.jpg

From the Left Radio, Light Controls, Siren, Radio,Radio
DSCN0022-vi.jpg

MDT and highrise controls
DSCN0023-vi.jpg

A well-known fact is that the red button is actually the ejection button for the chief...

Remember in the 1960's when F.D.N.Y. Battalion vehicles were Ford station wagons equipped with a 2 frequency Motorola Motrac radio and a mechanical siren and a bell on the front bumper? Wow how times have changed. 

69 METS said:
Remember in the 1960's when F.D.N.Y. Battalion vehicles were Ford station wagons equipped with a 2 frequency Motorola Motrac radio and a mechanical siren and a bell on the front bumper? Wow how times have changed. 

I remember that too, "69Mets". And weren't they great. That was before any tower ladders and rear mount ladders. Before ERS Boxes, and even before the War Years. Wow, are we old gizzers or what.

nfd2004 said:
69 METS said:

I remember that too, "69Mets". And weren't they great. That was before any tower ladders and rear mount ladders. Before ERS Boxes, and even before the War Years. Wow, are we old gizzers or what.

I agree N.F.D., I wouldn't trade my experience growing up around 'the job' for anything. They were great times.

Did Division 8 get fitted with an LED bar recently? I thought I saw them with one earlier this week when passing by on the expressway.

Len90 said:
Did Division 8 get fitted with an LED bar recently? I thought I saw them with one earlier this week when passing by on the expressway.
no I'm not sure but i don't think that suvs get there lightbars refitted. I'm pretty sure that all units before 2004 were equipped with aerodynics.

mercurygrandmarquis1 said:
Len90 said:
no I'm not sure but i don't think that suvs get there lightbars refitted. I'm pretty sure that all units before 2004 were equipped with aerodynics.
That is what I thought, but Battalion 21 had their aerodynic replaced around a year ago with an LED bar. I have pictures of it with both lightbars and it is the same registration (I believe FM03049)

How they do lightbar replacements seems completely random to me.  For example these companies all have replacements: Squad 61, TL58, Rescue 4, TL170, E283, Safety Battalion, and a whole bunch of other engines that recently got replacements and thus sent to the spare pool.  If anyone can point out a pattern in this please do.

Engine 283 had a lightbar replacement since the department wanted to retrofit some units with different lighting as a test. They were chosen since one of the people in the company has an "in" with I believe the apparatus committee.

As for some other lightbar replacements it might just be due to a broken lightbar. I do recall 21's aerodynic was not logging up well before the replacement.

As for Division 8's lightbar, I was able to see in pictures from the ferry incident today that it has not been replaced. It must have been a different Excursion that I had seen.