Is it illegal to stand, sit and use fire escape as balcony in New York City?

What does the NYC Fire laws state regarding tenants in multiple dwelling apartment buildings (4 story walk up, 16 apts) who stand, sit and otherwise hang out on fire escapes and use it as a personal balcony? I understand you cannot put plants and other objects on them but what about people who insist on hanging out there, drinking alcohol and using it as personal space?
Please clarify for me as I have 2 tenants below me who are doing that.

You cannot block it w/stationary objects but people have been hanging out on them since they were first built....life in the BIG city.

Some of my earliest memories are from sitting on the fire escape and watching R2 and E210 turn out under the Myrtle Ave el. One of life's simple pleasures.

FD347 said:
Some of my earliest memories are from sitting on the fire escape and watching R2 and E210 turn out under the Myrtle Ave el. One of life's simple pleasures.

Frank, Rescue 2 and Engine 210 was the first FDNY I rode with back in 1968. I remember them going under the Myrtle Ave el. That was back around 1968. Were you a part of that neighborhood then ?

I was but a mere lad but I do remember the days. I don't know what I was more interested in, the sirens or the rumble of the trains.