July 4th, 1993 Video

Over the years, I have seen my share of Buffs that gave other Buffs a bad name. Some had cars similiar to police cars, and they were maniacs out there. I just spent my years out there with my beat up old four cyclinder Ford Pinto. Also known as a Buff Mobile. Several of my friends were either on the job in Connecticut, or eventually got on the job. One is now a member of a FDNY Squad Co.

Buffing is a Great Inexpensive hobby. For me, I was lucky enough to see the very busy War Years, and also see those Very Busy Fourth of July's. We had, of course, and still have, the Highest Respect for the members of the FDNY. I learned so much by just watching. I still hit the streets, but now I drive a 2001 Nisson Sentra.

I NEVER had any problems with the FDNY, and the only time that I had any problem with the NYPD is when they pulled me over near Eng 82's house. (I talked about that early on in My Younger Buff Years).

I must of been really pathetic, my buff mobile, was my bicycle in the 80's running all over Canarsie,Midwood and Lower Flatbush. Was a nice quiet area to grow up. Not much burning went on, other then the Parkland in the Padergats and along the Belt Pkway. Hung out with E257/TL170 at there quarter's, great men. Once got my license and my car -- discovered GIRLS and my buffing pretty much ended officially. Maybe that explains why I am almost 32 and not married.

London, England in the 1970's was THE place to buff in the UK at the time. West Indian, Jamaicans and other emigrants were beginning to arrive and make areas their own. Unfortunately they were not used to the harsh English winters and as a result bought paraffin heaters which caused way too many fires, either by getting knocked over or refilled whilst the things were still lit!  :eek:

Anyway, a few of my old friends who are buffs were sat opposite a fire station at 2am one morning in their car waiting for action, what they failed to realise is they were sat outside a bank!
Imagine their surprise when four cops came roaring up behind them!

Great video showing the buffs though, surely its illegal to operate sirens and lights on a private car?

My first "Buff-mobile" in 1970 was a 1963 red w/white roof Ford Galaxy 500 wagon which was replaced in 1973 by a red 1973 Plymouth Gran Fury wagon that by coincidence was almost the same as what FDNY purchased later that year. The only difference was mine had more chrome trim and bucket seats. I never sped or disobeyed any traffic laws and most of the buffs wanted to ride with me because I had a knack for being in the right place at the right time. 8)

My first "Buff-mobile" in the 70's was a green VW Rabbit and was usually parked on Washington Ave. under the XBXEX across from 46/27.

B

Bigandy

I'm a little younger but mine first buff mobile was an '88 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser ('Woodie'), was blue with wood panels. Terrible on gas, and I would never ever use that thing again to buff. Had a huge trunk too which I fitted with a make-shift bed just in case it was an extended stay. Sounds cliche, but I just parked outside 1472 Bergen St, which was basically in the middle of all the action in Brooklyn. Didn't have any lights and sirens though. I WISH!  ;D

mikeindabronx said:
My first "Buff-mobile" in the 70's was a green VW Rabbit and was usually parked on Washington Ave. under the XBXEX across from 46/27.

Mike, that was one of my hang outs too. A few other places were of course Angies Market across from 82s back in the early 70s. Teller Ave near Clairmont Park. Morris Ave at 92s, and then the Micky "Ds" on Webster Ave near Clairmont Ave.
  But I also spent some time at 46/27. That was a good central location of the South Bronx, plus it was a busy area.
  My favorite Brooklyn hangout was at Broadway and Koskiosko (spelling ???). There was a Micky "Ds" there too. I think its the only Micky Ds to be closed down and later to be torn down. Those were my Bushwick Burning Days (1976/1977). A real busy place.
  Also spent sometime in the area of 275/133 in Queens over the last few years.
  Today its mostly the Micky "Ds" at Fordham and Southern Blvd.
  The buff mobiles ran from a Ford Pinto Wagon, a Toyota Corona, A Chevy Nova, and a Nisson Sentra. All good on gas, with that tell-tale scanner antenna on the trunk. No lights or sirens, but most people thought we were News reporters or Anti Crime cops anyway. Or just plan crazy for being there.
  And Andy, great idea about the make shift bed. #1472 Bergen address Rescue 2, or 234/123. Just curious.

B

Bigandy

Yeah it was a good idea to have the bed just in case, but it was used rarely.  1472 is Rescue 2's quarters, and 1352 St. John's Place is 234/123's house.

Bigandy said:
Yeah it was a good idea to have the bed just in case, but it was used rarely.  1472 is Rescue 2's quarters, and 1352 St. John's Place is 234/123's house.
  1472 was E234's firehouse back during the "War Years" ;)

guitarman314 said:
Bigandy said:

1472 Bergen Street was also the home of the 38th Battalion until 1977 when they moved with 123 Truck into the 'new house' on St. John's Pl. and Schenectady Av.. 234 Engine stayed behind on Bergen St. for a while due to community protests led by a woman named Anna Marie Blynn who did not want the firehouse closed. Eventually, the job assigned a Fire Salvage Unit (I believe it was Salvage 4) to the Bergen St. firehouse and 234 Engine joined 123 Truck and the 38th Battalion at St. John's East.

guitarman314 said:
Bigandy said:

Sorry there Andy. I was a little off with 234/123. Yes, I messed up. I know where they are as good as I know my own address. 234/123 Good Company. (shows them in the movie "Brothers in Battle too). Anyway, Thanks there G-man for that correction. I guess I also remember when 234 was at that Bergen St address. After that I remember as "69 Mets" says, a Salvage Co went in there. Then Rescue 2.

B

Bigandy

Great history lesson. I wasn't aware of this either, as I sat outside there in the 90's when it was Rescue 2's house. Sorry about that NFD.

Andy