Keys...

I have noticed in a lot of picture slideshows of incidents, most, if not all the members have a key ring with one or two keys on them, clipped to a clasp on their turnout coat. Any clue what they're for?

Probably alarm box keys, particularly so-called "1620" and "barrel" keys.  The former looks like a standard Yale lock key, but with a maltese cross grip end.  The latter had same grip but a tubular key shaft.

Trivia: In the days before digital locks, a company would leave a key to the firehouse front door inside their "home box" and relocators would go there to pick it up & let themselves into quarters.

M

mmattyphoto

One of the keys is probably a 1620 which is used for FF's service on the elevators. The other might be  for the compartments on the rigs that they keep locked.

As well as the "1620" key and compartment door key,  I also carried keys for opening subway car doors.

I think I was too quick to answer Roofman4.  He clearly said "most, if not all the members have a key ring...".  I overlooked that.

Back when, it would have been only the co. officers carrying the alarm box keys.  If it is "most, if not all the members" then it would have to be compartments or some of the other purposes mentioned in this thread.

Sorry 'bout that guys.

My assumption, even though I asked the question, was that most of the key's were for compartments on the rigs. Anybody have a picture of a 1620? Are the elevator service keys issued by the dept or are they "creatively aquired"?

Where I work; any keys, swipe cards, alarm reset codes, elevator keys etc...to a given bldg are contained in the Knox Box mounted on the bldg. Knox Boxes are code. Each company has a "standard" (county issued) key assigned to each vehicle in an alarmed key cylinder. The alarm will sound when it is removed.

Is it up to each company whether they lock compts or does the dept have an SOP for it?

I carry a single key at work on the clasp of my turnout pants, but it is a key to the firehouse bunkroom. We keep it locked 24/7 in case of a relocator. They can get anywhere but in the bunkroom. Only the assigned personnel have a key.

Thanks for the replies guys!

RM4

Now that I've had time to really look, a good amount of Ladder Co and Squad Co fireman have them. If I spotted one on an Engine Co, it's been the officer with the key. A lot of them are visible in Lou M's pictures because he gets shots of the fireman during clean up.

"Most, if not all, have them" may have been a little exaggerated...but there are lots of guys with keys...

Thanks,
RM4

The job no longer issues keys to individuals like it used to do. Keys are requested by the company officers and usually will only receive a few keys and the 1620 keys are just a plain key not the key with the Maltese cross, except for the alarm box keys. With my company a new member will be given a 1620 key, these keys come from the commissary fund. Also in my company we have a SSL rig so a few of us have our own sets of keys.  I have acquired my own keys because the keys we have on the radios occasionally disappear when someone wants keys. On my set I have 2-1620 keys (1 worn and 1 good), 1 key to our 1st due projects elevator rooms, a set of train skeleton keys with 1 squared key, a good ol alarm box key, and a set of keys to the SSL rig including the ignition key.

If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a 1620 key with the Maltese cross on it please let me know.    

Roofman4 said:
Is it up to each company whether they lock compts or does the dept have an SOP for it?

Most companies don't lock the compartments on the rigs unless there's unusual circumstances, such as the rig being outside and unattended for prolonged periods. A few months ago they did the sidewalk/apron at my firehouse, so our 4 rigs sat outside for the 6 weeks it took them to finish. Anything that we normally kept on the outside and within easy each was put inside the compartments or the cab and the doors locked with job supplied padlocks.  As far as department SOP goes... it basically up to the company officers to ensure equipment and department property are properly secured against theft and destruction. The job will provide the necessary devices to keep the stuff secured, but it has to be requested through the chain.

A little off track here, but what is the "sidewalk/apron" ? I'm guessing that's a Pub relations thing to explain about the Fire Dept etc. And it runs for six weeks ?

I've never been on the job, so forgive me if I'm stepping in where I don't belong, but typically the sidewalk is simply the sidewalk in front of the house, and the apron is the concrete that leads to the street, perhaps on both sides of the sidewalk. Depending on how far the house is set back from the street, the apron may be very small or very large (not far for most FDNY houses, perhaps as much as 100 ft or more for some suburban houses).

Another possible explanation is that the sidewalk apron is the CLEAN one that members wear when they go outside, as opposed to the kitchen apron, which is probably covered with tomato sauce and other assorted stains.    ::) ;D ::)

Bulldog

Bulldog
Ray, is correct.  The apron is the paved surface from the truck bays to the street.  It can either be concrete or in some cases asphalt.  The sidewalk is just the strip along the street or pedestrian traffic.  As stated in NYC most of the aprons are quite short but in suburban areas they can be quite large.  Ideally they should be at least long enough to park the trucks on so they're completely outside without protruding into the sidewalk or street.

nfd2004 said:
A little off track here, but what is the "sidewalk/apron" ? I'm guessing that's a Pub relations thing to explain about the Fire Dept etc. And it runs for six weeks ?

I must have had a few drinks when I wrote that one. I never thought they were talking about redoing (as in construction) the sidewalk/apron. Sorry.