LAFD To Purchase First Electric Fire Engine In North America

The cost for mechanics will undoubtedly go up as they will have to be trained to repair high voltage electrical components now.

Bulldog

Bulldog

Mack is now producing it's LR model with an electric option, the NYC Department of Sanitation has already ordered seven.
Electric vehicles are fine for things like the sanitation department where the schedule is fixed, but for the fire service where the trucks can be in use almost constantly I don't see it being a viable option! Many of the companies wouldn't have time between runs to recharge the truck to say nothing about working at long-duration incidents.

Perfect! The company patch will be Reddy Kilowatt throwing a handful of lightning bolts. In his left hand he will be carrying a three prong plug. Above him will be: V=IR, below: Special Called Power.

Also, the rig needs DOT Hazardous Cargo placards.
Or it could be the Energizer Rabbit

Of course, the other option is to fit each new electric pumper with a trailer hitch and assign a generator trailer as a second piece to the company. These trailers already exist (I'm not kidding). Eli Gill photo.

!ny_nyc_fdny_soc_generator.jpg

Of course, the other option is to fit each new electric pumper with a trailer hitch and assign a generator trailer as a second piece to the company. These trailers already exist (I'm not kidding). Eli Gill photo.

View attachment 17092
OMG! Responding emergency towing a top-heavy trailer. The accident reports will be piling up fast. They will have to bring back SB-2.

Ah, change. I do have to wonder if the old-timers made these same types of comments back in the day when the first horse drawn rigs were replaced with automobiles. I'll be curious to see how the technology continues to evolve as departments trial/break/request improvements to the equipment.

Ah, change. I do have to wonder if the old-timers made these same types of comments back in the day when the first horse drawn rigs were replaced with automobiles. I'll be curious to see how the technology continues to evolve as departments trial/break/request improvements to the equipment.
"They're going to have a lot more trouble keeping us supplied with that gasoline stuff! After all, there's grass just across the street, and oats are as close as the A&P!"
"But at least we won't have all that horses##t to shovel every morning. The proby will be happy about that."

Bulldog

Bulldog
I guess it's so heavy they couldn't push it in so they had to have it in reverse while pushing? It looks more like a bus than it does a fire truck and it may be okay at a company that is real busy but it certainly wouldn't work for a company that is out of quarters more than they are in quarters. You also have to wonder about what happens at a long duration fire scene.

I also had to laugh about the big deal they made about it having a booster line, many departments have booster lines on engine companies so it's really not that much of a big deal!

Interesting cross reference from another thread.

What happens when a BIG lithium battery goes bad . . . a Paris bus (Andy Dunn video):

or another bus:

Saw a YouTube video that said operates for two hours on battery and has a generator that can go for another 4 hours.

Understand it's out of service . . . its tank ruptured.

!.jpg

At least it didn't catch fire. 🇺🇦 :rolleyes::cry:o_O