London Fire Brigade Declares Major Incident in Response to a Huge Surge in Fires with Record Heat

From NBC News:

"
By Chantal Da Silva and Marlene Lenthang
LONDON — The London Fire Brigade declared a major incident in response to a huge surge in fires across the capital Tuesday, as 34 sites across the country shattered the record for the highest temperature ever documented in Britain. The heatwave has brought much of London’s bustling life to a screeching halt with canceled train service, frantic fires and hundreds of ambulance calls an hour.

On a normal day, London firefighters receive between 300 and 350 calls for service — but by early Tuesday evening, there had been more than 1,600 such requests, Mayor Sadiq Khan said.

"We simply can't cope with the number of fires across our city directly attributable to the heat wave we're experiencing," Khan told Sky News.

Britain’s infrastructure is unequipped to handle the tremendous heat as air-conditioning is uncommon outside of offices and public centers, and many homes were built in the 1800s with thick brick walls that absorb heat in the day and retain it at night.

Firefighters were also battling blazes outside the capital, including a major grass fire in Dartford, Kent, about 20 miles southeast of London.

As of late Tuesday afternoon, the Kent Fire and Rescue Service said it had 18 fire engines at the scene of the blaze near Durrell Dene, in Joyce Green, with video showing heavy smoke and fire along a busy highway. By late evening, firefighters had scaled down their operation to six engines that were expected to work overnight.

The fires broke out as the United Kingdom marked record-breaking temperatures, with an unprecedented 104.5 F in Coningsby.

London’s Heathrow Airport on Tuesday also recorded a record high on Tuesday of 104.4 F, according to the Meteorological Office.

Earlier in the day, a temperature of 102.4 F had been provisionally recorded at Charlwood, Surrey, already breaking records.

by Taboola
Sponsored Stories

Throughout the day London had NO fire appliances available for calls due to workload

And it was the current prime minister who closed London Fire Stations as Mayor

Wasn't just London. 14 services across England declared major incidents due to the overwhelming number of calls being received and the scale of incidents these generated. My own service had every engine in use at one point, with the surrounding services so busy they could not spare anything for mutual aid. At one point, we had the equivalent of 3 2nd alarms and 2 3rd alarms (if these were occurring in the same borough) running at the same time. I had an emergency run of over 50 miles just to make another engine available, which then got tipped out within minutes of me arriving. It was utter chaos across a large amount of England during the heatwave.

Wasn't just London. 14 services across England declared major incidents due to the overwhelming number of calls being received and the scale of incidents these generated. My own service had every engine in use at one point, with the surrounding services so busy they could not spare anything for mutual aid. At one point, we had the equivalent of 3 2nd alarms and 2 3rd alarms (if these were occurring in the same borough) running at the same time. I had an emergency run of over 50 miles just to make another engine available, which then got tipped out within minutes of me arriving. It was utter chaos across a large amount of England during the heatwave.
Teaching the young ones the "War Years" without bombs, bricks, beer bottles, and false alarms

Has Ireland been affected by the high temperatures and numerous fires like the UK?
Soda - Acid

There has been Wild / Gorse (Brush) fires here in the past few weeks but not to the extent on the ones in the UK.. The latest here was in Dublin on Monday. 7 Engines, 2 Tankers, Drone Unit and the following day Army Helicopter Bambi Bucket drops. Thankfully no homes lost or members of the public injured. 2 x Firefighters suffered minor injuries tho