Manhatten C.O. Closing on 8/11/09

I just read that the Manhatten C.O. is closing on Aug. 11, 2009. It will be moving to 11 Metrotech where NYPD and EMS I believe is now dispatched. The guy that talked about this is a Supervising Dispatcher in Manhatten so I would guess there is a lot of truth to that. Anybody have any more info on it.

I believe today is the last tour; TL18 just wished Manhattan good luck in their new home.

catry said:
I believe today is the last tour; TL18 just wished Manhattan good luck in their new home.

Do I have this correct?  Manhattan is in Brooklyn, and Brooklyn is in Queens, and Queens is in Queens!

Just a Sign of the Times I guess. It was always great riding through Central park and looking at that very Historic Building. I"m really not sure that people knew what it was. But to me, it contained the Fire Dispatchers for what I call "The Heartbeat of the World". When most people think of NY, they think of Manhatten with its High Office Skyscrapers, Times Sq, Macy"s and the Thanksgiving Day Parade, The U.N. and Rockerfella Center. Wall St and Harlem, Grand Central and Penn Station. All that, and now NO Fire Dispatch Center. Just five or ten years ago, I never would have believed it. We lost Brooklyn C.O. a little while ago (The Boro of Fire C.O.), and now Manhatten Fire C.O. (the Heartbeat of the World). I remember stopping in a few times. Thats all History now.

kfd274 said:
catry said:

Do I have this correct?   Manhattan is in Brooklyn, and Brooklyn is in Queens, and Queens is in Queens!

Can you believe that. Yes KFD274, looks like you got it correct ??? ??? ???

You miss the point of the whole drill - - it's New York City government.  You're not SUPPOSED to understand it.  The more sense it makes, the less likely it is to happen!

After checking into it a little bit, found out that besides Manhattan going to 11 Metrotech in Brooklyn with NYPD and EMS dispatch, it is expected that Staten Island, and Brooklyn C.O. will also move there. I know there"s been some talk about that. Now that everything will be together, it will make it a lot easier for Ben Ladden and his Boys to hit just one target rather than several. As somebody pointed out on another site, "Isn"t that what happened at Pearl Harbor". We put everything into one easy package. Recently, The Bronx C.O. was renovated, and as I understand it, The Bronx C.O. is all set up to handle Manhattan. I"m certainly no expert, but if the Manhatten C.O. "HAD" to be moved, why not move them there instead. Especially, in todays Dangerous World, probadly with NYC at one of the Top of the Hit List.

What a shame it is shutting down that facility. I met Herb Eysser there about 20 years ago, got the grand tour & watched true professionals in action.

nfd2004 said:
After checking into it a little bit, found out that besides Manhattan going to 11 Metrotech in Brooklyn with NYPD and EMS dispatch, it is expected that Staten Island, and Brooklyn C.O. will also move there. I know there"s been some talk about that. Now that everything will be together, it will make it a lot easier for Ben Ladden and his Boys to hit just one target rather than several. As somebody pointed out on another site, "Isn"t that what happened at Pearl Harbor". We put everything into one easy package. Recently, The Bronx C.O. was renovated, and as I understand it, The Bronx C.O. is all set up to handle Manhattan. I"m certainly no expert, but if the Manhatten C.O. "HAD" to be moved, why not move them there instead. Especially, in todays Dangerous World, probadly with NYC at one of the Top of the Hit List.

Good point.  You need to build in redundancy.

By the end of September, Manhattan, SI, Brooklyn, EMS and 911 will all be there. 1 big dysfunctional family.

It's all about a perceived saving in $$$ - based on bean counting with no consideration for overall operations etc.

Finished up my last day tour and worked an extended night tour in 11 Metro last night. What a joke. Funny how money gets put above publice safety. Looking forward to seeing you, 347.

It's been two weeks and morale is pi$$ poor. We've been told by our upper management to shut up and deal with it. Overtime up the wazoo, some folks have gotten jammed with 4 straight tours with OT thrown in(that's 4 straight 18 or 16 hour tours). Icy stares from PD operators coming in and leaving the building. DOITT folks complaining about losing parking spots. Food more expensive than in Manhattan, no kitchen, not allowed to eat at our desks, swapping parking permits at the change of tours. Forget Woodhaven Blvd, this place is a REAL FS!!!!

"FDNY150", things sure don't sound too good to say the least. But the truth is that when a fire breaks out in their home or apartment, you guys are the lifesavors that will get the rigs rolling. Whether upper management or the Mayors Boys give a damn about you, those people at the other end of that phone line sure do. You can"t let them down. Peoples lives are depending on what you do. And I"m pretty sure that there's quite a few of us on this Web Site that respect what you and your brother FDNY Dispatchers do.
  If for anything else, those seven million or so people out there need you to do a good job. Thats a lot of people. Kids, mothers, fathers, good people, bad people, fat people and skinny people. You have them all in that City. And when they need your help, they don't give a damn either about the Mayor or Upper Management. They only care about what "YOU" have to say.
  Best of Luck to you.

Great sentiments, if we were still talking to the callers when they call for help. My apologies, but I do appreciate it. However, morale is pretty bad right now, but we will keep turnin em out.

FDNY150 said:
Great sentiments, if we were still talking to the callers when they call for help. My apologies, but I do appreciate it. However, morale is pretty bad right now, but we will keep turnin em out.

Keep up the good work FDNT150 and your colleagues. We need you!