Manhole Electrical Fires

Does FDNY actively fight fires in manholes or do they protect exposures and wait for Con Edison to arrive and extinguish the fire ? Whoever puts the fires out how do they do it ? Water, Foam, Dry Chem , or do they have to let it burn out ?

Last edited:
Basically "all of the above" at different times & different conditions.

Purple K has to be directed by a Chief or Con Ed. Con Ed doesn’t like it being used it’s like a last resort. FD not suppose to flood the manhole with water adless directed by Con Ed or is a life hazard, auto exposes to car, building, etc.

Water is used more often than
Purple K ....... when Con Ed has an extended ETA & things were getting out of control my manhole got flooded ......they don't like it but they should have been there sooner.....a drawback to flooding is possibility of pushing CO thru conduits into various exposures so monitoring is important.

As Chief K said:
48th St & Broadway (5/68) NYT photo

Attachments

• Manhole Fire.png
    Manhole Fire.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
I preferred using the Rig mounted Stang with a FT-2 tip in place....this kept the Members a safe distance away from the manhole & out of the runoff......using the Stang prevents well meaning Members from getting too close & prevents any well meaning but overzealous moves with the Nozzle......interior Firefighting is the time for aggressive moves ....dealing with electric service calls for caution & restraint......also I have the highest Respect for Con Ed workers especially the Crews on the Red Trucks however they deal with electric so much that sometime familiarity can be dangerous so again the Stang keeps the FD at a safe distance when flooding a Manhole.