MARCH 25, IN FDNY HISTORY

A FAST bus is great. But years ago, the FDNY had a number of "Department Ambulances" for firefighters only. When I filled in in Satellite 1, on Spring Street in Manhattan. (The old Quarters of Engine 30-Now the FDNY Museum) back in the early 1970s. The firehouse was then the, "FDNY Medical Office" and 2 Department Ambulances were also quartered there for use by Firemen Only. One always responded on any "I think 3rd Alarm" in the city of N.Y. or when requested by the Chief in Charge of the Fire or a FDNY Medical Officer. I think another department, Ambulance was quartered in Brooklyn. These ambulances were manned by full duty Firemen and could be used during the day to take members home form the hospital. When I was a covering Lieutenant in the South Bronx, I had an eye injury that scratched my cornea, The Dept. ambulance came up from Lower Manhattan to the South Bronx, in the middle of the night, and transported me to N.Y. Eye and Ear Hospital. on East 12th Street, for treatment. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.

Thanks Mack Administrator. Another item worth revising is a Dedicated Ambulance assigned as part of the FASY/RIT team. Chicago, I know does this and I think also Boston. Below is an old photo of the FDNY Ambulance that was only for firemen. All too often when allot of civilians are injured at afire or incident and then firefighter/s get injured there is a wait for an ambulance for the members. The answer is to get more ambulances to the incident sooner. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY EngineView attachment 32892 26 retired
So this is basically the FDNY Equivlant of the NYPD ESU Ambulance? I was confused when I saw this pic on wikipedia, thought it was a Mass Casuality Unit.