MONSIGNOR JOHN DELENDICK (WTC)

From another site:

"Rest in Peace Monsignor. Thank you for all of the love and support that you gave to us over all of these years.
We will miss you."

May he Rest in Peace. May his family, friends and those he touched be comforted.

REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....Monsignor John Passed To A Higher Level Today after a very tough battle .....he remained positive thru it & continued to attend FDNY events as long as he could...... a true Friend to the FDNY Brothers. .....

Memories of 9/11 linger for New York fire department chaplain​

|
Msgr. John Delendick, a longtime New York Fire Department chaplain who is currently pastor of St. Jude Church in Brooklyn, remembers Sept. 11, 2001, vividly.
At the time of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, Msgr. Delendick had just finished celebrating Mass at St. Michael’s Church in Brooklyn where he was pastor. He jumped in his car and drove as close as he could get and then walked to the scene.
When he got to the twin towers, he ran into other fire department colleagues, including first deputy commissioner William Feehan, who was later killed in the collapse. He also gave absolution to a police officer who ran to him amid a dark cloud of debris and smoke, asking the priest to hear his confession.
He also recalls learning that his colleague and fellow fire chaplain, Franciscan Rev. Mychal Judge, was among the first known victims of the South Tower’s collapse.
“That day, I don’t even know the order of what all happened … Someone just handed me (Father Judge’s) helmet and told me he was killed,” he said.

20190910T1417-29884-CNS-CHAPLAIN-SEPT11.jpg
In this file photo, Rev. Brian Jordan, standing with labourers and emergency workers in Oct. 5, 2001, blesses a five-metre cross formed by steel beams that was recovered from the rubble of the World Trade Center.Kathy Willens, Catholic News Service

The hardest thing of that day, he said, was people asking him if he had seen their friends, fathers, brothers and sons – firefighters and first responders at the scene – and not knowing how to respond.
It wasn’t until after returning from ground zero that Father Delendick and many families would realize that their friends and loved ones had died.
Msgr. Delendick didn’t get back to his parish until 2 a.m. Sept. 12.
As fire department chaplain, in between celebrating memorial Masses for the fallen, Msgr. Delendick would visit “the pile” at ground zero in the months that followed, accompanying families in their search for loved ones.
That first year after 9/11, he doesn’t remember how many funerals and memorial Masses he said.
“It’s just, you get so many of these funerals, and it just gets to you after a while. … I love the job, but I also hate it,” he said.
Every year since the attacks, the New York Fire Department remembers and honours the heroes, especially those who have died years later from illnesses attributed to 9/11.
On Sept. 6 of this year, the department added the names of 22 firefighters and recovery workers to the New York Fire Department World Trade Center Memorial Wall inside its Brooklyn headquarters.
One victim of a 9/11 illness honored on the memorial wall was Lt. Timothy O’Neill, a Catholic who died in April after battling pancreatic cancer for two years. O’Neill worked for several months at ground zero during the cleanup efforts.
“My husband risked his life, and he paid the ultimate sacrifice 18 years later,” said his widow, Paula O’Neill.
“It was a complete shock because he never had any symptoms, but then one day he went for a CT scan. … He always thought he would get sick after breathing in everything, sometimes without a mask. He just didn’t really talk about it, and we never expected the severity of the cancer.”
With the help of the federally funded September 11th Victims Compensation Fund, O’Neill was able to be receive treatment for his cancer from his Florida home.
“I still have firemen to this day calling, crying to me,” Paula said.
At the Brooklyn ceremony, Rev. Joseph Hoffman, pastor of St. Barbara parish in Brooklyn, who also is a New York Fire Department chaplain, read a Bible passage which said: “The Lord God will wipe away the tears from all faces.”
The priest said that working with the fire department is “like serving another parish” and he is honoured to work with these men and women

https://grandinmedia.ca/memories-of-9-11-linger-for-new-york-fire-department-chaplain/?print=print

REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....Monsignor John Passed To A Higher Level Today after a very tough battle .....he remained positive thru it & continued to attend FDNY events as long as he could...... a true Friend to the FDNY Brothers. .....

Memories of 9/11 linger for New York fire department chaplain​

Msgr. John was a new young priest at my parish, Good Shepherd in Brooklyn, and I will like to remember him talking to the kids leaving school everyday. But most of us will remember him as Our Chaplain to all religions.
He did the annual memorial mass every year at E 279- L131, this year he had to apologize for having to do it mostly sitting down as he was to weak to stand. The last time I saw him at the annual Waldbaum Memorial mass he was upbeat as usual, as he would never give into his illness. A lesson he was still teaching us in his last days.
Needless to say he will be missed, a true ‘Man of God’

Msgr. John Delendick, a longtime New York Fire Department chaplain who is currently pastor of St. Jude Church in Brooklyn, remembers Sept. 11, 2001, vividly.
At the time of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, Msgr. Delendick had just finished celebrating Mass at St. Michael’s Church in Brooklyn where he was pastor. He jumped in his car and drove as close as he could get and then walked to the scene.
When he got to the twin towers, he ran into other fire department colleagues, including first deputy commissioner William Feehan, who was later killed in the collapse. He also gave absolution to a police officer who ran to him amid a dark cloud of debris and smoke, asking the priest to hear his confession.
He also recalls learning that his colleague and fellow fire chaplain, Franciscan Rev. Mychal Judge, was among the first known victims of the South Tower’s collapse.
“That day, I don’t even know the order of what all happened … Someone just handed me (Father Judge’s) helmet and told me he was killed,” he said.

View attachment 41052
In this file photo, Rev. Brian Jordan, standing with labourers and emergency workers in Oct. 5, 2001, blesses a five-metre cross formed by steel beams that was recovered from the rubble of the World Trade Center.Kathy Willens, Catholic News Service

The hardest thing of that day, he said, was people asking him if he had seen their friends, fathers, brothers and sons – firefighters and first responders at the scene – and not knowing how to respond.
It wasn’t until after returning from ground zero that Father Delendick and many families would realize that their friends and loved ones had died.
Msgr. Delendick didn’t get back to his parish until 2 a.m. Sept. 12.
As fire department chaplain, in between celebrating memorial Masses for the fallen, Msgr. Delendick would visit “the pile” at ground zero in the months that followed, accompanying families in their search for loved ones.
That first year after 9/11, he doesn’t remember how many funerals and memorial Masses he said.
“It’s just, you get so many of these funerals, and it just gets to you after a while. … I love the job, but I also hate it,” he said.
Every year since the attacks, the New York Fire Department remembers and honours the heroes, especially those who have died years later from illnesses attributed to 9/11.
On Sept. 6 of this year, the department added the names of 22 firefighters and recovery workers to the New York Fire Department World Trade Center Memorial Wall inside its Brooklyn headquarters.
One victim of a 9/11 illness honored on the memorial wall was Lt. Timothy O’Neill, a Catholic who died in April after battling pancreatic cancer for two years. O’Neill worked for several months at ground zero during the cleanup efforts.
“My husband risked his life, and he paid the ultimate sacrifice 18 years later,” said his widow, Paula O’Neill.
“It was a complete shock because he never had any symptoms, but then one day he went for a CT scan. … He always thought he would get sick after breathing in everything, sometimes without a mask. He just didn’t really talk about it, and we never expected the severity of the cancer.”
With the help of the federally funded September 11th Victims Compensation Fund, O’Neill was able to be receive treatment for his cancer from his Florida home.
“I still have firemen to this day calling, crying to me,” Paula said.
At the Brooklyn ceremony, Rev. Joseph Hoffman, pastor of St. Barbara parish in Brooklyn, who also is a New York Fire Department chaplain, read a Bible passage which said: “The Lord God will wipe away the tears from all faces.”
The priest said that working with the fire department is “like serving another parish” and he is honoured to work with these men and women

https://grandinmedia.ca/memories-of-9-11-linger-for-new-york-fire-department-chaplain/?print=print

In the years since Monsignor John became our Chaplain it is hard to remember all the events like Funerals...Dedications....Promotions .....Etc....Etc that have taken place but it is even harder to remember those that he was not in attendance at.

ARRANGEMENTS :

WAKE........Shrine Church Of St Jude
1677 Canarsie Road Bklyn NY 11236
Wed 11-29-23. 2-4 & 7-9
Thur 11-30-23. 2-6

VIGIL
MASS.........Shrine Church Of St Jude
1677 Canarsie Road Bklyn NY 11236
Thur 11-30-23. 7 PM

FUNERAL
CO-CATHEDRAL OF ST JOSEPH
856 Pacific St Bklyn NY 11238 ....... 856 pacific st brooklyn ny 11238
Fri 12-1-23 11 AM

BURIAL FOLLOWING
SAINT JOHNS CEMETERY
Middle Village Queens NY. ........... 80-01 metropolitan ave middle village

Last edited:
Every compliment that one could give to another man would have to be given to the Monsignor. I am saddened by your passing and it was a pleasure to have known you Monsignor. Rest In Peace!

FDNY Chaplain Monsignor John E. Delendick

September 4, 1949 - November 23, 2023

It is with deep regret the department announces the death of Monsignor John E. Delendick who succumbed to his WTC illness on Thursday, November 23rd, 2023. Monsignor Delendick served our great department for 28 years. He is survived by his sisters: Patricia and Rosemary; as well as extended family and friends. Please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers. May he never be forgotten!

**Please note that the viewing and Vigil are at a different church then the mass of Christian Burial**

Sad to hear of the passing of Msgr. Delenick. To my knowledge he is the 3rd FDNY Chaplain to be lost to the World Trade Center Attacks.
Father Mychel Judge on 9/11 and FDNY Methodist Chaplain Rev. Alfred Tompson from World Trade Center Cancer a few years ago. and now sadly also Msgr. Delenick. If these three good men are not in Heaven, we are all in big trouble. May we all learn from them, what Love of others and true service means. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired