Most memorable firehouse meal ?

The Engine Company that was released from the scene of a bitterly cold, early morning job and who returned a little while later with freshly brewed coffee and goodies from a local bakery for the troops who were still operating.

In Ladder 38 we had Arthur Ave to shop and three very fine chefs, one of the groups was referred to the "fish groups". Tommy Sidor made outstanding fresh fish everytime he cooked. Another was Ray Benway. He lived in Bayside among the many resturants, he'd fine dine with his wife, talk with the chef to see how he prepared the meal and recreate the meal his next tour. Our other chef was Gil. He made outrageous comfort meals. His specialty was golden fried chicken tenders, mixed in with yellow rice and combined, peppers, onions, pineapple and a hint of duck sauce. One of my favorite. L 38 was reknown for its meals. Dennis Smith ran a essay competition for Firehouse Magazine. The winner received a cash prize and a dinner at the firehouse. Guess what firehouse was selected. In addition, Commissioner Spinnato was a regular dinner guest. Helping prepare I took mental notes on the meals.

I took many of these recipes to Bushwick when I transferred, and they were well recieved, and my new guy status didn't last long.
When I was in L 5, I used to cook for the young guys with another buddy named Dan. We wanted to make the meals a little more memorable. I bought a candleabra and we started to eat by candeliight much to the amazement of some old salty chiefs.

Yet one meal stands out. In L 38, guys suggested chicken, I thought about glazing the chicken, like duck L'orange. They loved the idea. We cooked the chicken L'orange, but our nutty chauffeur wanted to take it a step further and added food coloring to every other item. We had orange duck, blue rice and green cornbread. It was a meal to remember.

PHOTO; Chicken L'orange in progress.

Chic L'Orange.jpg

When we used to interchange the Engine would brown bag it, so we had to fend for ourselves. That was with the every third night swap so they knew when we were coming. The busy night next night interchange never knew when we were coming so they had no choice but to include us in.

There was one night in S.I. that I came down with a kidney stone (which had nothing at all to do with the meal) and wound up in the E.R. Well, the gang could not refrain from badgering the "chef" for hours on how he put me in the hospital for food poisoning. From what I heard he paced the apparatus floor for hours smoking about 3 packs of butts. When I got back and told him that it wasn't his fault the look on his face was as if he just won the lottery. He then proceeded to use harsh words towards his comrades. I had to laugh myself even though it still hurt. True story.

The Engine Company that was released from the scene of a bitterly cold, early morning job and who returned a little while later with freshly brewed coffee and goodies from a local bakery for the troops who were still operating.
Something similar, one nasty hot afternoon we returned from a job, relocator left us cold and frosty refreshments in a cooler...."allegedly", of course.