Most qualified EMS capability on the street

In London, as well as many parts of the UK, we have frontline ambulances, rapid response paramedics who respond solo in rapid response cars, and the top of the pile is Trauma Doctors, who are from different medical disciplins within the Hospital arena, and respond out on the road when not in the hospital, or are on call from their hospital work, or routinely patrol any given area.

All this is augmented by Air Amblances, which are crewed by two flight crew, a senior/clinical Paramedic and a Doctor, all striving to provide the best in pre hospital care.

Doctors have been known, and in fact do as a matter ofnourse where a situation demands it, perform such interventions as open heart massage at the roadside.

My question is, what does NYC have in the form of advanced pre hospital care?

Regards

JT

FDNY EMS operates Paramedic units known as ALS (Advanced Life Support). There are two Paramedics on each of these ambulances. These medics have the ability, through established protocols, to administer certain medications, establish I.V.'s, perform EKG's, interpert EKG's, cardiovert and many other aspects of ALS. They are, if need be, in contact with the Telemetry Unit either by radio or telephone and can speak directly to the FDNY Physician on duty at the aforementioned telemetry unit. These are just some of the functions performed by the Paramedics. I hope I have been of assistance.