My younger Buff years

Here's a story actually from member "fdce54" who worked at one of the A & P stores in the South Bronx, which is now a church. It was right across the street from aschool. He said every day, during the school year, the corner fire box was pulled. It was pulled at 7 am, 12 noon during lunch break, and 3 pm. Sometimes Ladder 17-1 (first section would respond). Other times Ladder 17-2 would respond. One was an aerial ladder and one was a tower ladder. So one day, young "fdce" asked one of the guys, "How do you know which ladder truck to take" ? He assumed those guys were assigned to Ladder 17 and would decide which rig to take.

When he asked one of the members that question, the member pointed out the big number 17 on the truck. And next to that big number 17 was a smaller sized number "2". He then told young "fdce54", "see that small number 2, that means it is Ladder 17, section 2". "We have two fully manned ladder trucks in that firehouse". That's because it's so busy.

Then young "fdce54" also noticed a small number 1 on Engine 41, and he noticed a small number 2 on another Engine 41. He learned that also in that neighborhood was Engine 41-1, and Engine 41-2. Two totally seperate Engine companies in the same firehouse, because there were so many fires.

Young "fdce54" grew up, lived, and worked in some of the toughest neighborhoods of Da Bronx. It's a miracle he survived. Today "fdce54" works as a Con Ed supervisor in some tough areas of Mt Vernon, Yonkers etc. He hopes to retire within two years. If you want to hear a few of his stories, he's got some to tell. There's a place right around the corner from Eng 81/Lad 46 that he sure likes. You can buy him a burger and a drink, and just let him talk. I think you'll be impressed with what he has to say.

Question for the guys who buffed during the war years; Did the members of FDNY ever give you guys a hard time about buffing? I've been reading a lot of comments from members of the Detroit FD on social media sites. I'm sure much of it is frustration on their part from seeing what they're city has become. Many of the members of Detroit FD have posted very negative comments about people buffing. Just wondering if any of you guys had similar problems when buffing FDNY during their war years.

L-103(ret) said:
a bag of bagels and coupla sticks of cream cheese went a long way

I stopped in 290/103 with just that. I was going to see Ira, remember him.

As far as the FDNY members treating me and my friends, they were very good to us. Of course we knew our place too. I did see a few know it alls get put in their place too. And they deserved it.

I'm sure with the amount of coverage that the Detroit Fire Dept has been getting, it has drawn every weirdo from all corners of the earth. Plus the fact that Detroits firefighters and police officers have no idea about what will happen to their jobs and pension.

But Brian, the FDNY treated me and many of my friends great. But we knew our limits.

mack

Administrator
No one cared about much back in the late 60s and 70s.  Multiple alarm fires never made the news - unless a member was killed.  No one cared.  The NYC fire problem was never recognized or acknowledged for years - except within the department.  The city was broke. Crime was rampant.  Nothing worked anywhere.  The streets had potholes.  Grafitti and garbage everywhere.  No one cared.  There were no firelines at jobs.  You didn't see cops at fires.  Ever.  So if anyone was insane enough to spend their nights watching guys stretch lines into vacant buildings torched over and over, or watching companies put out a dozen ADVs or garbage fires each tour, no one really minded or noticed or cared.  Buffs were usually the only ones who appreciated the work FD members were doing.  I always thought they were welcomed in most firehouses.  Back then, FDNY still had Auxiliary members who wore yellow helmets.  They were authorized to ride rigs with members.  They seemed to be welcomed and were often appreciated by members for their help and interest.   

Never had a problem buffing back then. In those days you could stay at the firehouse and ride. Sometimes I would stay an entire weekend in a house. Some guys and Chiefs were more welcoming than others but thats the way it goes. As long as you respected their firehouse you had no problems. Had many of great meals topped off with a good job afterwards ! One house that I frequented in Bklyn basically required you to make "reservations" ahead of time because of the frequent buffs that came. Very busy house then and now. They would count you in on the meal, offer you a seat on the rig (or space on the turntable of the tower ladder ) and a bed to sleep in. Great times.

Was an Auxiliary and rode with 132 from 1968 to 1975. Great house. Had no problems with the guys and always did what was expected of me, as it should be. Had no problems with any neighboring companies as well.
The members always seemed to appreciate an extra pair of hands at a job.
I'm not sure what the reactions were after the 1975 lay-offs. I had moved out of New York City by then. Whenever I went back to the old neighborhood for a visit I would stop by 280/132 and catch up with the guys.

There was a difference between "riding" and being an Auxiliary. The Auxiliaries were screened, had to undergo training, were given an ID Card, and assigned to a company (with the Captains' permission). I know many officers who wouldn't let you ride unless you were an Auxiliary.

mack

Administrator
Auxiliaries were established by FDNY to provide additional manpower during World War II.  They were trained, equipped and were able to staff additional engine companies as needed.  They wore old British army style red helmets. The FDNY Auxiliary system expanded significantly during the Cold War of the 1950-60s.  By the 1970s, I don't think Auxiliaries staffed their own units any more but they provided extra manpower to respective FDNY companies which they were assigned to.  They wore distinctive yellow helmets by then and performed valuable duties.  They were trained and had a rank structure.  They were good guys and usually welcomed by units. 

That said, Auxiliaries were also additionally considered "buffs" and were referred to as such during the War Years, not in a derogatory way.  My father had 2 or 3 regular "buffs" who rode with him in the 43rd Bn who were Auxiliaries.  One became an FDNY member (Tony Raimundi) who later was a 43rd Bn aide.  The term "buff" had broader applications.  Non-FDNY firefighters from other departments frequently "buffed" and often rode rigs at the discretion of the unit officer.  Dispatchers "buffed" at favorite firehouses and rode.  Photographers "buffed".  Guys who were just interested in firefighting "buffed".  Sometimes, FDNY members "buffed" jobs when they were off-duty and picked up a job where they happened to be.  Some of us were kids and "buffed" with our fathers and uncles.  When we traveled outside NYC, if my father noticed smoke, we "buffed" jobs in NJ, LI or wherever we were. 

The FDNY Auxiliary system was disbanded, maybe in the early 1980s, for reasons (e.g. - legal liability).  But guys still "buffed" and rode rigs with permission.  Times are much different today.

Mack.... First i would like to Thank You again for all the great info both written & photographs that you provide ..... i am not trying to hijack your post but would like to add to it....i have been a lifelong Buff ....i started riding w/my Father who was a Chauf in LAD*43 when i was Ten back in '55.....as i got older i met some other Buff's who had relatives OTJ & started riding w/which ever one of them would allow us to ride w/gear & go in the bldg....after becoming an Auxiliary in '61 (at 16 thanks to my alterered birth certificate) i had the good fortune to get to get  know the guys & ride w/LAD*108 ( back in those days & also when manpower was short before minimum manning standards i got to do some things that were outside the parameters for Aux's who were not supposed to operate inside the Fire bldg but i got taken down the "garden path" several times carrying the "can" for some  of the the Legend's )......great times i would not trade for anything or elaborate more on here)...i also learned some important lessons  that i kept w/me  throuout my 41 yrs OTJ ....in those early days in 108 i met some of the greatest guys on earth ...during my time in Vietnam they wrote me letters & several of them regularly called my Mother (who had become  a Widow by then ) & offered her any help she wanted.....when i was discharged from the USMC i went on the Fire Patrol but still continued to ride w/108 on Siegel St.....luckily for me the City decided to open the Second Sections in the summer of '68 this resulted in me getting appointed to the FDNY in Sept '68 & after 6 weeks of proby school on the old Welfare (now Roosevelt ) Island i got assigned  to 108 on Siegel St. & was broken in by some of same great guys from my younger years ........as far as Aux history i would like to add some info...as stated the Aux's of the WW2 era wore red steel pots w/ a CD (Civil Defense) insignia on the front ....(once in awhile these pop up on e bay but i remember in the '60s there was a whole floor of these rusting away on the upper floor of the 133 side of ENG*206's old qtrs...(only the lettering was in place over the Truck side... 133 was never organized until '98 w/275)....also another floor of the qtrs on the unused Truck side was full of another  current e bay item the "stirrup pump" a WW2 pump type water extinguisher ) in the late '50s/early '60s the red steel pisspots for Aux's were replaced w/a fiberglass type helmet of the same shape w/a CD decal on the front....not many Aux's wore these if they had another choice ..you  could get got a hand me down Retiring FF's Helmet & spray it red or if you had some $ you could buy  a new one from Cairns....most Aux's Front Pieces varied...some had Civil Defense on them ...some had Fire Emergency Division on them but if you were a hard core Company guy you had the regular insert type Front w/your Company insert same as the FF's & AUX in place of the badge number.....around '65 the Fire Patrol pitched a b**ch about confusion as to who was who at a Job  & Aux Helmets were changed to yellow.....as far as the time that the FDNY Aux's were disbanded i do not know the actual date ..(there were no more actual staffing of the CD Civil Defense Pumpers which were Ward La France's after the mid '50s..the rig's were used as FDNY spares) i  lost track after i got OTJ  ....officialy the formal Fire Emergency Division staffed by Uniformed Members as well as the Aux column in the  "All Hands" forum in the back of  WNYF had gone by the wayside (i do not remember what year) however some oldtime Aux's continued to ride w/their Companies well after that ( it depended on the Officer's in the particular Unit)...... most probably the end of the Aux's taking any active part in FF operation's in the FDNY was after the '75 layoff's..... i agree you could not have a Union FF laid off & then have someone else riding & doing his job....many great guy's did continue to ride w/Units w/& w/out gear just to observe or take photos until restriction's were put in place after 9-11....thru my years i never turned anyone away (unless the guy had a known track record).....some of my Best Friends to this day  are people who although they were never appointed to the FDNY as a FF still have a genuine interest in the Fire Service .     

Well said, Chief, regarding the Aux. system.  I had a dept issued yellow plastic helmet when I first joined.  One day, looking in the closet when the 41 BCs kept their turnout gear, I saw an old white Cairns helmet hanging on a hook.  I took it to the Battalion Commander and determined it was from a BC who had retired years before.  The Chief told me it was mine, I repainted it yellow, and got a "248" frontpiece.  I still own it today.

The "rules" were definitely stretched when it came to fires.  Providing extra help was pleasure for me.

mack

Administrator
I remember as a kid spending time in different firehouses.  Some kids look back and remember fishing holes, or corner stores or parks that formed their growing up memories.  I remember firehouses.  Especially the old firehouses.  There were still many old single company houses.  Some still had traces of horse stalls and hay lofts.  Firehouses smelled unique - a combination of cotton hoses that had seen many fire buildings, big red trucks with wooden ladders and drip pans underneath, housewatch desk with ash trays filled with cigarette and cigar ash from late watches, rubber coats, rubber boots, smoky leather helmets, and the kitchen with beautiful smells of roast beef or spaghetti sauce.  Firehouse cellars were like exploring Disney land.  Extra equipment, tools, signs, old pool tables, picnic goods, holiday decorations, Santa suits, barber chairs, coal bins.  There were boxes with old helmet front pieces and discarded turn out gear.  There was Fallout shelter supplies.  And boxes of old Auxiliary stuff - always old red helmets with the CD logo.  Everyone knew a story to go with the history and lore of the companies who responded from that firehouse. Everyone listened respectfully when an old multiple alarm fire was recalled.  Everyone stopped to listen to the bells.  It was automatic - you could see everyone counting each ring - until they simultaneously jumped up and headed for their spot on the back step or the truck running board.  When I see pictures of those old firehouses, I still think of the faces and the voices and the sounds and the smells that were part of those special buildings.

When I last visited 280/132 in 2002, the younger guys working that day had no idea about the Auxiliaries and were interested in the concept. The captain who was covering in the truck had been around for a while and was familiar with the program.
It is a shame the program passed on

Came across this photo on Facebook

"Aerial view of Charlotte Street, Bronx N. Y. after the smoke cleared. Street
at bottom of picture is Boston Rd., Center of cross is Bronx Box 2743 - Charlotte and 170. The old route card for the box said:"Left out of quarters. Put your coats on. You will see the smoke"!

The 1960s Census had over 9500 people living there.

Provided to me from Lt. Tom Barry (ret.) L-31/E-82 "

Attachments

• Bronx.jpg
    Bronx.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 664
IRISH said:
Came across this photo on Facebook

"Aerial view of Charlotte Street, Bronx N. Y. after the smoke cleared. Street
at bottom of picture is Boston Rd., Center of cross is Bronx Box 2743 - Charlotte and 170. The old route card for the box said:"Left out of quarters. Put your coats on. You will see the smoke"!

The 1960s Census had over 9500 people living there.

Provided to me from Lt. Tom Barry (ret.) L-31/E-82 "

Looking at that picture today, it's hard to believe that things were so bad. Where a building is standing, just about every one is burned out. The empty lots is where a building once stood. Everything destroyed by fires.

If I'm not mistaken Engine 82/Ladder 31s quarters would be barely visible in far upper right corner of this picture. That street should be Intervale Ave.

Many people feel that this is actually where the FDNYs War Years started. I had been riding with Rescue 2 in Brooklyn and later started buffing in Harlem as those companies were really busy and the numbered streets made it easy to get around. When the book "Report from Engine 82" came out, much of this area had already been burned out and that's when I started to buff the South Bronx. I remember thinking, as bad and burned out as Harlem was, this place was worse.

It had happened more than once when there were two seperate building fires on the same street, at the same time. Or nobody was able to respond to a car fire and it just about burned itself out before somebody was able to show up. Or you would see one rig crossing an intersection and another rig crossing the same intersection going in the opposite direction going to two different calls.

As time went on there were many other city blocks that looked the same as this picture. Empty burned out buildings or empty lots that once had huge occupied apartment buildings. I just thought that the fires would just keep taking neighborhood after neighborhood. And it did for awhile.

But today there aren't the scars of the thousands of fires that the FDNY firefighters fought. There is no place in the city today that looks like it was back then in the 70s and 80s. And there was no RAC units, no FAST Co, no MDTs, no Bunker Gear, no thermal imaging cameras, and no air conditioning in the rigs.

Willie,
The stories live on because people like the members of this site and the remaining oldtimers from the job continue to tell their stories. Those stories need to told and retold. Many people today have no idea what went on back in the war years. I've told some stories out here and the youngsters look at me like I've got three heads. I guess political correctness or the desire to rewrite history will try to wipe out the war years and the challenges faced by the brothers on the job.
We can never let our history fade into oblivion.