My younger Buff years

"mikeindabronx" has just added page 23 to his web site (fdnysbravest.com). It is a photographic history of some of the busiest years for fire activity within the FDNY. Each picture says it all.

Thanks Mike for adding this latest page. You were able to capture these moments just as they happened.

www.fdnysbravest.com/page23.htm 

fdce54 said:
Santa Claus came early. Thanks Mike.

Yes, so very well put there Brother "fdce54".

As I so often do, I try to share those latest pictures with others who may not get to see these right away on this web site. One such individual, a firefighter in one of the northeast larger and very busy fire departments, asked a question about a few of the photos. Today he has about 25 years on one of the city's busiest pieces. I my opinion this guy knows his stuff too. But he probably was way too young to remember these days. He got on the job after the days of roll down boots.

In one of these latest photos, he asked about the little yellow box that is attached to the waist strap on the air pack. He guessed it might be the PASS Alarm. Of course, he was right. During those days, for many departments it was the policy to attach them to the waist straps in a similar manner. I remember they did it on the job where he is now.

But over the years things do change. He now wears bunker gear and that PASS Alarm is not worn on the waist strap anymore.

My question to him now is; "Well where are they worn now" ?? I really have no idea !!!

Thanks Mike. I wonder how many noticed the Auxilary fireman on line one photo 4. That yellow helmet really stands out.,

Back in the day, there were many good "yellow helmets" and a lot of good houses that made us feel like a part of the family.

sitting here and thinking back to the early 1940's I remember Engine 236 had a AmericanLafrance/Foamite first piece that was painted battle ship gray.  I do not remember any other engine company in the East New York Brownsville area that was painted that color. In the late forties it was replaced by an American Lafrance with the engine between the MPO and officer that was painted normal FDNY red. Engine 236 also much later had one of the lime green or yellow Macks. Does any body remember any other engine company with a gray pumper ?

nfd2004 said:
fdce54 said:

Yes, so very well put there Brother "fdce54".

As I so often do, I try to share those latest pictures with others who may not get to see these right away on this web site. One such individual, a firefighter in one of the northeast larger and very busy fire departments, asked a question about a few of the photos. Today he has about 25 years on one of the city's busiest pieces. I my opinion this guy knows his stuff too. But he probably was way too young to remember these days. He got on the job after the days of roll down boots.

In one of these latest photos, he asked about the little yellow box that is attached to the waist strap on the air pack. He guessed it might be the PASS Alarm. Of course, he was right. During those days, for many departments it was the policy to attach them to the waist straps in a similar manner. I remember they did it on the job where he is now.

But over the years things do change. He now wears bunker gear and that PASS Alarm is not worn on the waist strap anymore.

My question to him now is; "Well where are they worn now" ?? I really have no idea !!!

Willy D, They are integrated in the SCBA! Hence the chirp your hear in videos.

CFDMarshal said:
nfd2004 said:
fdce54 said:

Willy D, They are integrated in the SCBA! Hence the chirp your hear in videos.

Thanks Rev. I met with the guy who asked that original question about the yellow box carried on the waist strap in one of those pictures. You're right Reverend, and I had no idea of where or how they were located now.

As the saying goes; "it's never too late to learn". I probably should sign up for the next Probie School, just to get an idea of how the Fire Service has changed over the last 10-12 years. This guy I talked to is on one of the busiest rigs in New England. But guess what ? He never rode the back step or a turn table of a fire truck. I think Mike has one or two pictures of the FDNY guys riding the back step of those CF Mack Pumpers.

"auxlteng225", for many of us, we remember the Green FDNY pumpers but at least for me, NO- battleship grey pumpers. A classic green mack I remember was Engine 45. It had a design of "Kermit the Frog" on the front grill. With that it said; "It's not easy being green".

Sounds like it ....237 had a '47 up until the early '60s (totally uncovered all around) ....it had been Out Of Service for several years & sat in the rear of qtrs for quite awhile & 237 used a CD Pumper then when it was finally repaired it went back in regular service around '62...it was a great Rig to ride on because the guys were on the back step leaving the side jump seats open for riders.(the same as 108s '56 ALF when the guys still rode the side)...the only slight drawback then was that it had no Booster requiring a stretch for minor stuff but no different than today....as far as the gray Rigs i don't seem to remember any (that doesn't mean that maybe i had not seen one just might not remember  ..scary). 

Yes, that was the nickname for it..Engine between to MPO and the boss, two forward facing jump seats no booster.  First of the cab forward line.

Hey Chief, not too scary.  The guys at 236 told me that it was some sort of experiment for WW2 and not sure if any other company ever had one. The rig was a late thirties one. At 85 I am just short of remembering the horses.

HCO

Clarification based on info from two historians with more knowledge of former FDNY apparatus than the rest of us:

There were no battleship gray pumpers.

In 1937, a 1921 White/Peter Pirsch city service ladder truck was converted to serve as Smoke Ejector & Foamite Truck 1, and quartered at Engine 31. In 1941 it was moved to Engine 7.

During 1942 a second 1921 White/Peter Pirsch city service ladder was similarly converted, the chemical tank and booster removed, painted gray, and assigned as Smoke Ejector & Foamite 1. The original  Smoke Ejector & Foamite 1, painted red, was reassigned as Smoke Ejector & Foamite 2 and moved to Engine 224.

They were later redesignated as Smoke Ejector & Foamite 41 and 42, and were disbanded in 1957.

Five 1924 American LaFrance tillered aerial ladders, four 75-foot, one 85-foot, were converted to become relay hose wagons in 1942. They were designated Relay Hose Wagons 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. They were also known as Relay Hose Wagons 101, 102, 103, 104, and 105, and were quartered at Engine 7, Ladder 2 (later Engine 19), Engine 208, Ladder 115, and Engine 327 respectively.

All were disbanded on May 15, 1945, one week after VE Day. All five were painted gray. None would have fit into the E-236 firehouse.