New Ems PRU?s

Joined
Aug 27, 2013
Messages
254
From the fdny fleet services Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0JSc3PBTfA/?igshid=tiuubryk63pu
 
Joined
Apr 23, 2018
Messages
1,064
memory master said:
JohnnyGage said:
Striking similar to what I used to ride in...


...well maybe not quite.
C'mon Dan, those Gruman's were terrific ::)

We had the ones with the rubber bumper...used to push cars that were stuck in large puddles after a rain storm on Kings Hwy!
 
Joined
Apr 23, 2018
Messages
1,064
memory master said:
Ah, you're speaking of the "bread box" bus with the h2o front bumper.
No, just like the pic, they had a rubber bumper filled with H20. BTW, I did one, maybe two night tours riding in the bread truck. Very uncomfortable, nowhere for the tech to sit comfortably.


Obviously a Bx rig. Our rig had hardly any lettering on the door, real bare bones, but rubber bumpers!... Liberty 374!
 
C

capthale

Guest
OK so these are the new condition trucks I saw the pig
 
Joined
Jun 22, 2007
Messages
5,598
In talking with one of the FDNY/EMS members recently, he told me that the new PRUs (paramedic response units) are now operating out of various EMS Stations. I understand at this time, the Bronx has THREE such units in service. I'm not sure of the other boro's.

As I understand it, on an ALS call; One BLS Ambulance, with two BLS members responds, along with One of these PRUs with Two ALS Medics. If ALS transport to the hospital is necessary, the Two ALS Medics will ride in the back of the ambulance treating the patient.

One of the BLS members will drive the ambulance, while the other BLS member will follow the ambulance to the hospital with the PRU vehicle.

It seems to me, although this program is still in it's very early stages, that this program might just free up more ambulances available throughout the city.

Of course any member here who may want to add or make a correction to this, we certainly welcome that.
 
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
1,311
nfd2004 said:
In talking with one of the FDNY/EMS members recently, he told me that the new PRUs (paramedic response units) are now operating out of various EMS Stations. I understand at this time, the Bronx has THREE such units in service. I'm not sure of the other boro's.

As I understand it, on an ALS call; One BLS Ambulance, with two BLS members responds, along with One of these PRUs with Two ALS Medics. If ALS transport to the hospital is necessary, the Two ALS Medics will ride in the back of the ambulance treating the patient.

One of the BLS members will drive the ambulance, while the other BLS member will follow the ambulance to the hospital with the PRU vehicle.

It seems to me, although this program is still in it's very early stages, that this program might just free up more ambulances available throughout the city.

Of course any member here who may want to add or make a correction to this, we certainly welcome that.

As of October every ALS unit in Division 2 (Bronx) has 100% switched over to PRU
 
Joined
Jun 22, 2007
Messages
5,598
Lebby said:
nfd2004 said:
In talking with one of the FDNY/EMS members recently, he told me that the new PRUs (paramedic response units) are now operating out of various EMS Stations. I understand at this time, the Bronx has THREE such units in service. I'm not sure of the other boro's.

As I understand it, on an ALS call; One BLS Ambulance, with two BLS members responds, along with One of these PRUs with Two ALS Medics. If ALS transport to the hospital is necessary, the Two ALS Medics will ride in the back of the ambulance treating the patient.

One of the BLS members will drive the ambulance, while the other BLS member will follow the ambulance to the hospital with the PRU vehicle.

It seems to me, although this program is still in it's very early stages, that this program might just free up more ambulances available throughout the city.

Of course any member here who may want to add or make a correction to this, we certainly welcome that.

As of October every ALS unit in Division 2 (Bronx) has 100% switched over to PRU

Thank you Phil, "Lebby" for that info.

If this program works out in NYC, I'm sure that other cities with busy EMS units will follow.

NYC has always been a trend setter whether it'd be EMS, PD, or FD. They try it out in their pilot programs, evaluate it, and then decide to continue or abandoned it. Other cities have the advantage of putting into effect what has been proven successful without going through their own success or fail process.

Looking back when it comes to the fire service, the FDNY was some of the first (certainly here in the northeast) to bring in tower ladders, use of power saws, bunker gear, 1 3/4" hose, the FAST Co, the use of handie talkie radios, even fire ground terminology, etc.

I feel if it works for the FDNY, NYPD, or the FDNY/EMS, - "it will work anywhere". 
 
Joined
Apr 1, 2007
Messages
3,998
FDNY invention? ? ? ? ?

Squad_51.jpg
 
Joined
Sep 25, 2013
Messages
872
nfd2004 said:
Lebby said:
nfd2004 said:
In talking with one of the FDNY/EMS members recently, he told me that the new PRUs (paramedic response units) are now operating out of various EMS Stations. I understand at this time, the Bronx has THREE such units in service. I'm not sure of the other boro's.

As I understand it, on an ALS call; One BLS Ambulance, with two BLS members responds, along with One of these PRUs with Two ALS Medics. If ALS transport to the hospital is necessary, the Two ALS Medics will ride in the back of the ambulance treating the patient.

One of the BLS members will drive the ambulance, while the other BLS member will follow the ambulance to the hospital with the PRU vehicle.

It seems to me, although this program is still in it's very early stages, that this program might just free up more ambulances available throughout the city.

Of course any member here who may want to add or make a correction to this, we certainly welcome that.

As of October every ALS unit in Division 2 (Bronx) has 100% switched over to PRU

Thank you Phil, "Lebby" for that info.

If this program works out in NYC, I'm sure that other cities with busy EMS units will follow.

NYC has always been a trend setter whether it'd be EMS, PD, or FD. They try it out in their pilot programs, evaluate it, and then decide to continue or abandoned it. Other cities have the advantage of putting into effect what has been proven successful without going through their own success or fail process.

Looking back when it comes to the fire service, the FDNY was some of the first (certainly here in the northeast) to bring in tower ladders, use of power saws, bunker gear, 1 3/4" hose, the FAST Co, the use of handie talkie radios, even fire ground terminology, etc.

I feel if it works for the FDNY, NYPD, or the FDNY/EMS, - "it will work anywhere".
raybrag said:
FDNY invention? ? ? ? ?

Squad_51.jpg

Uncle Willy,
Innovation in the fire service happens everywhere and at different times.

What you said about FDNY innovations and firsts is true . . . mostly.

Coming from a department that had its fair share of innovations, many of which were carried back by FDNY members who rode with us or our members who later joined FDNY, there have been some innovations in FDNY that came from other departments. 

FDNY usually field tests and pilots all new ideas regardless of their success (or failure) elsewhere.  That is fair and practical and they have the resources to do it.

FDNY has also tried ideas that ?will never work here.?  (articulated booms for example) That doesn?t mean everywhere.

Bunker gear, snorkels, rabbit tools, ladder manifolds and PRU?s were not that new and not unproven when they came to FDNY.  Some worked out, some did not.  Progress is progress no matter from when or from where it originates.  Ideas can evolve and improve when adapted by new departments.

Thanks, Ray.  You're picture says it all.
 
Joined
Jun 22, 2007
Messages
5,598
Yes Iggy, "fdhistorian" your point is very true. Ray, "raybrag" also makes a good point as well.

In my own case, there were just so many different things that came out while I watched the FDNY work. Even the simplest of things, that many departments later followed as well. Carrying the power saw on a sling, or using a truck tire tube to hold a light on a helmet.

Maybe for a department using a Snorkel truck, Chicago would be the place to follow.

My brother drove a Snorkel truck here in Bridgeport. With the narrow streets he would tell me sometimes the length of the articulating boom would make it difficult to swing that boom/bucket around or maneuver.

Of course when it came to paramedic and EMS response, places on the east coast learned from places on the west coast. With L.A. County already using paramedics and many fire depts. here not even responding to medical calls. Today of course the majority of most fire dept responses ARE medical calls.

I remember one chief saying: "we can send a fire company to a trash can on fire, but we can't send a fire company to a life threatening emergency ?". It was leaders like that who changed many departments to follow what had long been established on the west coast.

So "Iggy", I guess you are correct. It hasn't always started within NYC. 
 
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
1,311
The PRUs haven't been well accepted by the members, we'll see how the pilot expands.
 
Top