New Rescues ?

The FDNY, through DCAS, has placed a solicitation for TRUCK, HEAVY DUTY RESCUE. x 9 units- (85723B0038 - Due: 2/16/2023 ).

The Collapse Rescues are getting up there in age but that would only be 5. Rescues and Haz Mat all have new rigs. Maybe bigger rigs for the SOC Support Ladders? Otherwise, maybe it's something for EMS.

Bulldog

Bulldog
It will be interesting to see what these are considering the quantity doesn't make anything in existence.

If you read the specs in the solicitation, it says "a tandem axle heavy duty rescue apparatus"... "front line apparatus subject to extensive use and the most severe service"... "capable of carrying a full equipment and personnel load", and the remainder of the specs seem to make it clear this is a truck in the style of the rescues (two person front cab, front and rear winches, one rear door, same or similar compartmentation as the rescues, etc). You can view the specs through the DCAS website. So unless I'm missing something, these are replacement rescues.

If you read the specs in the solicitation, it says "a tandem axle heavy duty rescue apparatus"... "front line apparatus subject to extensive use and the most severe service"... "capable of carrying a full equipment and personnel load", and the remainder of the specs seem to make it clear this is a truck in the style of the rescues (two person front cab, front and rear winches, one rear door, same or similar compartmentation as the rescues, etc). You can view the specs through the DCAS website. So unless I'm missing something, these are replacement rescues.
Isn't it too soon??

I just browsed the bids too. the estimated amount of the bid is $21,908,952 and what they refer to as the performance period is listed as December 1 2022 to November 30, 2027 Which would be the 5 year cycle.

Bulldog

Bulldog
I agree the specs certainly sound like rescues I'm wondering where the quantity 9 comes from? They certainly are not going for more rescues to the system. I can understand getting one additional one for a spare but certainly not 4 spares.

I agree the specs certainly sound like rescues I'm wondering where the quantity 9 comes from? They certainly are not going for more rescues to the system. I can understand getting one additional one for a spare but certainly not 4 spares.
Why not? Each of the current rescues has a dedicated spare. Only difference would be primary & spare having the same age.

The lead time on apparatus construction of fire apparatus has more than doubled for some manufacturers: there are verified cases of small departments waiting upwards of three years to get their rig after they placed an order and the pricing is skyrocketed in some cases increasing after the order has been placed. I’m sure FDNY will get top VIP priority with whoever builds these rigs. But they might be looking at market conditions and trying to ensure timely availability as well as cost containment. Who knows. Just my wild assed guess based upon the absurdity going on in the apparatus manufacturing field right now.

Just a Thought
6 Rescues
1 Hazmat
Both TSUs are up at that time or there was talks on making a full time High Rise Unit.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Just a Thought
6 Rescues
1 Hazmat
Both TSUs are up at that time or there was talks on making a full time High Rise Unit.
I could see making 6 rescues identical so the front line spirit is identical to what the units are used to running with but at least presently the Hazmat and the TSUs quite a bit different in layout etc.

The specification sheet for this particular bid states: Note: "Due to variances in the required equipment carried by each Rescue company, it may be necessary for the sizing of both interior and exterior storage compartments and related storage areas to be adjusted to accommodate these specific requirements. This shall be further discussed at the Preconstruction Conference and subsequent inspections." Nothing in the spec sheet states anything other than it being Heavy Rescues. But 9 of them is odd

Maybe this combined with all the Li-Ion fires means Haz Mat 2 might be happening 🤔

It could easily fill up two of the trucks in the order

Could the additional numbers be for SOC? I'm not familiar with their fleet but on Mike Martinelli's SOC photo page there are a few early-2000s Macks and the donated "Spirit of Oklahoma" rig that if not already disposed of must be long in the tooth by now.

Could they also be ordering for a seperate Rescue for details such as un and other details so all rescue companies keep their own spare available. Maybe even a scuba rig