New Rochelle, NY Working Fire 8/11/14

28 Plymouth Drive

Multiple calls for a reported structure fire per 60 control, PD o/s confirming

16:12: C-2302 requesting 10-75 for a garage fire, E-22 & C-2301 added to the assignment

16:15: C-2309 responding

16:16: C-2306 responding (safety officer)

16:18: E-24 relocate to station 3

16:20: Fire is k/d, checking for extension

16:22: C-2302 canceling E-22 to scene & redirecting them to station 3 & relocating E-24 to station 1

16:32: Requesting status of ConEd, they have been notified

16:43: Fire is extinguished, overhauling

17:01: U/C all units will 10-8 when ready

Assignment could be:
E-25,23,21
L-13,12
C-2302

10-75:
E-22
C-2301, 2309, 2306

Relocations:
E-22 to station 3
E-24 to station 1

Question: How big is the New Rochelle FD's response area? I was looking at this address in Google Maps and it looks incredibly far from center city New Ro... these companies respond out that far? Looks like to me, this job was towns over? (near Scarsdale)

I don't know the area to well haha

FDNYSTATENISLAND said:
Question: How big is the New Rochelle FD's response area? I was looking at this address in Google Maps and it looks incredibly far from center city New Ro... these companies respond out that far? Looks like to me, this job was towns over? (near Scarsdale)

New Rochelle is approx. 10.5 square miles of land with approx. 78,000 residents, covered by 5 firehouses of the New Rochelle Fire Department. Looking at a map of the city, its very narrow and mostly consists of the area surrounding North Ave., going north to south, and the Post Rd. from east to west. The quarters of NRFD Engine 25 is located very close to the Scarsdale border and covers a huge area of northern New Ro. While Downtown companies are all quartered pretty close together (E21/TL11, E22/L12, E24), E23/L13 and E25 are both spaced apart from the rest of the NRFD and cover larger areas. NRFD Ladder 13 covers approx. half of the city.

FDNYSTATENISLAND said:

As fdny1075k stated New Ro covers a pretty good amount of area, also they cover parts of areas that if you google map them will come up as a 'Scarsdale' address such as this particular fire

firstdue said:
FDNYSTATENISLAND said:

As fdny1075k stated New Ro covers a pretty good amount of area, also they cover parts of areas that if you google map them will come up as a 'Scarsdale' address such as this particular fire
To go off of what firstdue said, this address is technically in Scarsdale, and actually there are 2 Scarsdale firehouses (E54 & E55/TL29) and 1 Eastchester firehouse (E31/TL17) closer than 3 of the New Rochelle houses that responded (2nd due, 3rd due, FAST). Surprised Scarsdale didn't do some kind of auto-aid/mutual-aid.

fdny1075k said:
firstdue said:
FDNYSTATENISLAND said:

To go off of what firstdue said, this address is technically in Scarsdale, and actually there are 2 Scarsdale firehouses (E54 & E55/TL29) and 1 Eastchester firehouse (E31/TL17) closer than 3 of the New Rochelle houses that responded (2nd due, 3rd due, FAST). Surprised Scarsdale didn't do some kind of auto-aid/mutual-aid.

Its funny how thinks work. A lot of times another department is closer but it is the other's district and thats just the way it falls.

firstdue said:
fdny1075k said:
firstdue said:
FDNYSTATENISLAND said:

Its funny how thinks work. A lot of times another department is closer but it is the other's district and thats just the way it falls.
They had a job the other day up in Hartford, CT along the West Hartford border. A West Hartford firehouse was closer than the 2nd due companies but never went over the city line.