New Tactics within the FDNY

For many years, as a buff, I have been a fan of the FDNY. From the late 60s to the present. I consider them to be the Best Fire Dept in the World. Once a Firefighter of a small department, I always considered myself lucky enough to be able to learn from just watching. And it wasn't just myself. There were other firefighters who also feel the same way. Many of them promoted within their own fire departments. We have all learned from the experience of the FDNY. And we are all very Thankful for being able to have that privilege. From high rise fires to brownstone/row frames. Private dwellings to Multifamily dwellings.

Most recently many of us have been hearing of a possible change in tactics. Here are two videos I found that probably explains it better.

FDNY Tests Fire Science and Firefighter Procedures

And this much longer discussion:

FDIC 2013 - FDNY, NIST, UL Technical Panel Discussion

those guys a re-inventing the wheel,  seems like all old shit...."looking at" is not a change,  exterior ops?  the poor bastid in the back bedroom might not think it's such a great idea and how about exposure and extension prob's. ya wanna be safe?  get a job in a stationary store....just this old school buffaloes opinion.

Bulldog

Bulldog
It's like it always has been, firefighters can stay outside and stay safe but not worry about victims and property damage or they can go inside, take some calculated risks, save victims and protect property.  It's the same scenario we've always had.  Progressive departments like FDNY take the 2nd approach and do it very well.  Departments with less experience and training take the 1st route.  Hopefully I'll always live where departments take the 2nd route.

L-103(ret) said:
those guys a re-inventing the wheel,  seems like all old shit...."looking at" is not a change,  exterior ops?  the poor bastid in the back bedroom might not think it's such a great idea and how about exposure and extension prob's. ya wanna be safe?  get a job in a stationary store....just this old school buffaloes opinion.
Agreed ..wheel "reinventing" at its finest... certain new tactics & tools can have a place at some ops but when they become the "first line of defense" in some peoples mind  then we take a step backwards & relinquish some of our previous tactics ....
it will never be a totally safe job unless it is not done.

I appreciate your comments. Some guys outside the FDNY are quickly buying into this. I have confidence in the FDNY. If it will work, the FDNY will be the one to show it. And if it doesn't work, the FDNY will be the first to prove it wrong.

In the meantime, the tactics that have been in place for a very long time has been proven to save probably millions of lives over the years.

Finally! Someone other than I, someone with an Established Track Record, &
Credible 'Field Experience' as an FDNY Btn. Chief, has validated the notion that
'Venting' a Fire Bldg. Prior to establishment of adequate 'Water on the Fire',
Is Not A Good Idea !
103 Ret. & I had this Conversation at least once before, and he 'Took Me to School'
because of my Lack of Actual Fire-fighting Experience. I have been to Hundreds of Fires.
(Many of those in the  Early Stages). I've Served as an E.M.T on a N.Y. State Ambulance Sqd.
that was the 2* E.M.S. Provider for a City, and 1* E.M.S. Squad for many Town & Village F.D.'s.

I've Always thought that Opening-Up a Building, Especially the Roof, prior to Establishment
of Adequate Water was Unnecessarily  Dangerous and Frequently Counter-Productive.
One of the Many Examples we've seen of that was right here on this Site: 1/27 National Incidents;
Erie, PA 'Hot Vent'. Watching that Vid. the whole time i'm thinkin': No, No, No, Get Off The Roof,
It's Just Not a Good Idea!
I'm Ready for whatever Criticism comes my way now, an Experienced FDNY Btn.Chief agrees,
and there's at least enough to the Idea, that FDNY is indeed, 'Taking a Look'.