New units and soon to be station

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Station 7 is set to open at 23rd st and 10th ave. Will be using temp trailers when they start up.
However because the money is in the budget for the new bosses, they will work from station 4 until they are ready to move.
Battalion 7 and conditions 7 are now in the cad system. Condition 7 should be on service already.
The units will get moved from stations 4 and 8 when time comes, should be about 7 units.

These 7 units are they an addition(new) or just relocating the 7 units?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
ems only. They were able to add money to the budget because of all the private hospitals going under.
North gen Also just shut down the ER and both ambulances, which are now being run by fdny out of station 10

Do you think/see in the future private's out of the 911 service?

As far as privates getting out of 911, I don't think you would see it happen a 100% anytime soon.
Most of the units FDNY are taking back are by default when the hospitals go under.
I know the EMS union would love to take it all back, but some of the units have been there just as long as NYC EMS.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure exactly where conditions came from but nypd used the term so I wouldn't doubt it came from them.

tbendick said:
Not sure exactly where conditions came from but nypd used the term so I wouldn't doubt it came from them.

I'm sure that it did. Back in the 1970's, when N.Y.C. EMS was a part of HHC, the director and the deputy director of EMS were retired NYPD. I believe that the head of HHC at the time also was retired NYPD. Much of the terminology at the time came from NYPD. Much of the disorganized method of dispatch also came from the NYPD (some buses were signing out NYPD portable radios from the local station house and self dispatching. Multiple units would respond to the same call and leave other calls unanswered, often units would not answer their own dispatcher and would 'disappear' for long periods of time.) Those few of us who actually cared about doing the job right back then had a saying: "EMS, what a mess, hardly working to serve you less ..."

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
The new EMS station is located at 512 West 23 St., between Tenth & Elevnth Aves.  FDNY is using a former parking lot (10,820 square feet) right under the High Line.

Expected to open around Nov. 1st.