New York's Whitest? The Obama Administration's Dangerous Demands for the FDNY

This whole discussion is bulls&*t. I want the best qualified person on the top of a 100' aerial with fire licking my butt. All I want is the best qualified person. at the time I do not care for their sexual preferance or skin color.  Gay, white, asian, black, or whatever, at that particular point in time I really do not care about your lifestyle, please save me. Because of some liberal judge, probarbly living in some "safe" community (i.e. WHITE) the Boston test was thrown out. I had served 2 tours in SEA with a PH but now I had to go to the end of the list. This was because of the way minorities were treated. I checked my ancestory (Irish) and we did not own any slave ships. And for all who think Boston is the cradle of the Irish there were signs that said Help wanted, Irish and blacks need not apply.2012 the Republicans look a whole lot better :D :mad: :mad: :mad: ::) :)

The fact that this issue was brought up in the first place is proof that being politically correct is more important then safety. Whats next, are the stupid people going to complain that the test is too hard  and it should be thrown out?

I remember that one of the questions on BFD was what is the differance between a hose line and a line of hose? Correct answer was a hose line secures a line to an aerial, while a line of hose was 50' in the street. But the liberals said this was not job-related knowledge. OK then, go piss on the fire.

It's a damn good thing they don't ask the question..."Why do Firemen wear red suspenders?" I'd love to see those answers!

As a "mixed race and hispanic" I agree with most of the comments made here. I remember while growing in the 60's seeing many "qualified" black firefighters who I looked to as role models. They passed the same tests in the 50's and 60's as their white counterparts and some of them went up the ranks to become fire marshals, chiefs and even more. This was before someone came along and decided to lower the bar to admit underqualified minority candidates. They all had one thing in common, they really wanted be NYC firefighters. If someone wants to be a firefighter they should start to learn about the job in advance from current and past members, or join a volunteer dept./organization, cadet corps, etc. and stay away from drugs and crime. Almost all of what I learned about firefighting was from white firefighters because they saw me as an American kid which is what I consider myself not hispanic, indian, black, etc. 

One hell of a response guitarman!!!. You could never be a politician because you possess a quality they know nothing of i.e. HONESTY

Gman... you forgot one point... unlike judges and lawyers you never learned how to speak without thinking!
I agree 100% with everything you stated, if your born in America you're an American, nothing more, nothing less.

guitarman314 said:
As a "mixed race and hispanic" I agree with most of the comments made here. I remember while growing in the 60's seeing many "qualified" black firefighters who I looked to as role models. They passed the same tests in the 50's and 60's as their white counterparts and some of them went up the ranks to become fire marshals, chiefs and even more. This was before someone came along and decided to lower the bar to admit underqualified minority candidates. They all had one thing in common, they really wanted be NYC firefighters. If someone wants to be a firefighter they should start to learn about the job in advance from current and past members, or join a volunteer dept./organization, cadet corps, etc. and stay away from drugs and crime. Almost all of what I learned about firefighting was from white firefighters because they saw me as an American kid which is what I consider myself not hispanic, indian, black, etc.

Excellent Post!

grumpy grizzly said:
One hell of a response guitarman!!!. You could never be a politician because you possess a quality they know nothing of i.e. HONESTY

We'd ALL be a lot better off with "G-man" as President, or a Senator, than the Self Promoting Lying Crooks we have today. I consider it an "HONOR" to know G-man. Not only do I respect him, but many within the FDNY from Firefighter to Chiefs Respect him.
  Grumpy, my father and brother worked with some Excellent Minorities in the Bridgeport, Ct Fire Dept. I know of one who was a Captain, and another was a Lt. They EARNED the job AND their Promotions before our Court System got involved. And they were Very Respected Firefighters.
  One more thing, I was a victim of NOT getting that Firefighter job in Bridgeport. They said I didn't pass the test and wasn't qualified. What I didn't tell them was that I already had the job in another city and just finished passing my first EMT class. Twenty nine years later, I retired from that job at the rank of Fire Captain. I guess not too bad for somebody who wasn't even qualified to be a firefighter in another city.
    Grump, if only you knew then. Norwich, Ct was certainly NO Boston or FDNY. But we had our share of fires, and I think we would have gotten along just fine, if we were on the job together.

How many Fire Fighters are there now in FDNY and what was the highest number before all these cuts over the last 30 yrs