NY airport emergencies

Hello, how are airport emergencies handled at LGA and JFK? I understand that the Port Authority crash trucks are the first responders but does FDNY get notified/respond to these? In the Chicago area for ORD and MDW a still and box and EMS plan I is automatic for an aircraft in distress stand by. Thanks

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
At both airports there are multiple fire alarm boxes. However the 'crash box' that can be activated from either the PAPD main crash station or the control tower generates an automatic 2nd alarm response of engines & ladders, but a third alarm response of chiefs & special units. JFK has 2 stations & LGA only 1 station. FAA also requires direct phone tie lines from the tower to Queens Communication. Many other agencies are on that line.

lga box is 0037 jfk is 0269 response is for the second alarm is 8 engines 1 with the hose wagon 5 truck 3rd is fast 5 battalion chiefs 4th is resource 5th is safety officer the deputy chief the hazmat , rescue and safety battalions , 2 rescues 1 squad (with second piece ), haz mat 1 , one haz mat tech unit ( normally engine 274 ) , 3 satellites with associated engines , 1 marine company , the TSU , field com , mask service , unit the rac , rehab manger and a foam tanker with associated engine . for ems a standby gets 1 bls 1 als and 1 conditions , a crash response get 3 bls 3 als 3 conditions officers a deputy chief the duty physician and the logistics support unit . if upon the first arriving ems unit see it is a mci will transmit the mci signal 40 for a aircraft incident which requires a response of the following , 6 BLS , 4 ALS, 6 Conditions , a haz-tac officer , 3 haz-tac bls , 1 haz-tac ALS , 1 rescue medics , 3 deputy chiefs 1 division chief the duty physician , a meev, mrtu, metu and 2 logistic support units .
The main job of the FDNY operating at a airport is water supply and treating any victims

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Do the Port Authority crash trucks also respond to off airport crashes?
Within the agreement between Port Authority & NYC crash trucks will automatically respond to aircraft incidents right outside of the airports. Crash trucks can be requested to other locations citywide. In the 90's or later 80's there was a major incident in Staten Island concerning a spill from the Buckeye pipeline. FDNY had used over 85% of there foam trying to cover and control this spill. A crash truck was requested from Newark airport & responded. Since there was a difference in the types of foams that PA & FDNY was using at the time, a layer of Hi-Ex foam was applied before the crash truck could operate.

Was the LGA Box always 0037? I remember it being a different box number a few years ago.

FYI- the PA Airport FD for LGA and JFK both have retired FDNY members as Chiefs.

"scoobyd", that is correct.

A few years ago, myself and a few members from this site were invited to a tour of the Port Authority LGA Airport Fire Dept.
I think it included members "fdce54", "CFDMarshall", "Irish", "fltpara16", and a few others.
I don't remember if it was "68jk09" or "Atlas" that set the tour up for us.

But when we got there I learned that a retired FDNY member, nicknamed "Rambo" from FDNY Ladder 32, was either the Captain or the Chief, I'm not sure.

"Rambo" and I hit it off pretty good as I had been a Volunteer Firefighter in the early 1970s when his father, Dave R., was a great Chief of a busy combination career/volunteer fire department in Connecticut.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
The crash box has always been 0037
The crash box for LGA is 37 on the bells. It might show up in the computer as 0037. On the bells it was transmitted as 99-22-37 except Queens who would transmit 22 - 37.

In addition to water supply & removing / treating victims .....Aerial's & or TLs are important to access a fuselage for search.

"scoobyd", that is correct.

A few years ago, myself and a few members from this site were invited to a tour of the Port Authority LGA Airport Fire Dept.
I think it included members "fdce54", "CFDMarshall", "Irish", "fltpara16", and a few others.
I don't remember if it was "68jk09" or "Atlas" that set the tour up for us.

But when we got there I learned that a retired FDNY member, nicknamed "Rambo" from FDNY Ladder 32, was either the Captain or the Chief, I'm not sure.

"Rambo" and I hit it off pretty good as I had been a Volunteer Firefighter in the early 1970s when his father, Dave R., was a great Chief of a busy combination career/volunteer fire department in Connecticut.
I think you are referring to Dave Russell, I worked with him as a FF in L 112, he got promoted and eventually worked at L 32 (maybe E 62) before he retired. (Dave in middle).

387632684_721591242757467_1541859049617368368_n.jpg

I think you are referring to Dave Russell, I worked with him as a FF in L 112, he got promoted and eventually worked at L 32 (maybe E 62) before he retired. (Dave in middle).

View attachment 42985
^^^^ Dave "RAMBO" R....A GOOD GUY ....Dave also did a short time as a FF in SQ*41 in 1990 before going to ENG*62 where he was a LT.

Yes, Dave Russell is who I was referring to.
I didn’t know he worked in L112 and Sqd 41

His father Dave Sr., was a greatly respected Chief of Dept in Fairfield, Ct

Thank you JohnnyGage and Chief 68jk09 for that info.

I would imagine that FDNY has staging areas at LGA and JFK? Driving down the main road into ORD I have seen read signs that say "CFD staging area" fallowed by a letter of the alphabet.

lga box is 0037 jfk is 0269 response is for the second alarm is 8 engines 1 with the hose wagon 5 truck 3rd is fast 5 battalion chiefs 4th is resource 5th is safety officer the deputy chief the hazmat , rescue and safety battalions , 2 rescues 1 squad (with second piece ), haz mat 1 , one haz mat tech unit ( normally engine 274 ) , 3 satellites with associated engines , 1 marine company , the TSU , field com , mask service , unit the rac , rehab manger and a foam tanker with associated engine . for ems a standby gets 1 bls 1 als and 1 conditions , a crash response get 3 bls 3 als 3 conditions officers a deputy chief the duty physician and the logistics support unit . if upon the first arriving ems unit see it is a mci will transmit the mci signal 40 for a aircraft incident which requires a response of the following , 6 BLS , 4 ALS, 6 Conditions , a haz-tac officer , 3 haz-tac bls , 1 haz-tac ALS , 1 rescue medics , 3 deputy chiefs 1 division chief the duty physician , a meev, mrtu, metu and 2 logistic support units .
The main job of the FDNY operating at a airport is water supply and treating any victims
Would both airports get
Would both airports get Satallites 3,4&6? If available?

I would imagine that FDNY has staging areas at LGA and JFK? Driving down the main road into ORD I have seen read signs that say "CFD staging area" fallowed by a letter of the alphabet.
At JFK staging is at building 269 the main fire rescue building . at LGA it would be at guard post 30