NYC VOLI RESPONSE

F

firekid52a

What could NYC voli's have i.e. light color and can they respond with sirens. Also if the Vol company's have a large fire do they cal FDNY in to assist?

NYC volunteer fire depts may have a blue light. They are not alowed sirens. Usually on big fires, one person of the public or more has callen 911 anyway, so the FDNY are responding. If, on arrival, they find a job, they usually request the city.

If I'm not mistaken Broad Channel VFD engine 205 has red and blue lights and a Q.

I was thinking you were referring their personal vehicles. My apologies. The volunteer rigs do have lights and sirens. Broad Channel's 205 does have red and blue on their rig with the back lights being red and blue LED's.

I'm with Broad Channel VFD. E205 does have the red and blue LED's, and they look sick at nighttime.

Also, if so we pull up to a job that FDNY does not know about, we HAVE to notify them and give them the box #. We have an FDNY handi-talkie that we can relay a size up to incoming FDNY units, usually E266, E268, L137 while they're coming over the bridge.

To insure interoberabilty between us and FDNY, we hook up to a hydrant using a two-way wye. One line goes to our engine, the other is what FDNY hooks up to so they can operate. This is part of a written agreement between us and the chief of Battalion 47.

And as far as that blue light stuff, we can use them, but it dosen't mean that you can go burning through traffic lights or anything like that. That's just signaling other motorist's to request a courtesy.

F

Fireman5230

All Volly Companies are Dispatched at the SAME TIME as FDNY units. The only shot at this being different is if its a Verbal Alarm from Quarters. In SI the 2 companies are alerted with Horns on the stations. Members respond - contact the CO and get a Box #, Address and type of call. The two Volly Houses on SI are about 1-2 miles from an FDNY house.

Not many times do the Vollies beat a rig in.

F

firekid52a

QUEENS1985 said:
I was thinking you were referring their personal vehicles. My apologies. The volunteer rigs do have lights and sirens. Broad Channel's 205 does have red and blue on their rig with the back lights being red and blue LED's.

i was refering to the POV's

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Each department does there own thing. You would have to find someone to ask.  There are a few guys on the site, so you might get a response.

FDNY 6012, to answer your question, I don't know about others, but West Hamilton Beach and Broad Channel have pagers. When we at Broad Channel have them on, we pick up West Hamilton Beach when they tone out, as we use the same frequency. From our firehouse we can talk to thier dispatcher on the radio also.

We have the FDNY bee-boop that goes off at the same time as E266 and we see what they see. Shift change, signal 65-2, LODD, runs, etc....most of it is Rockaway boxes obviously, but more often that not we get calls on our emergency line from citizens for MVA's, diff breathing, cardiacs, etc.

How does the NYC vollie EMS agencies work. Do they go 911 runs or just when ever there station is called. Why does Hatzollah all have sirens in there POV's? thanks

Fireman5230 said:
All Volly Companies are Dispatched at the SAME TIME as FDNY units. The only shot at this being different is if its a Verbal Alarm from Quarters. In SI the 2 companies are alerted with Horns on the stations. Members respond - contact the CO and get a Box #, Address and type of call. The two Volly Houses on SI are about 1-2 miles from an FDNY house.

Have to correct you there. We only turn out Richmond and Oceanic. As far as Hatzoloh is concerned, a lot of them carry medic gear in the car. Hence the lights and sirens on the POV's. I also doubt anyone tries to mess with them when it comes to that stuff.

F

Fireman5230

FDNY150 said:
Fireman5230 said:

Have to correct you there. We only turn out Richmond and Oceanic. As far as Hatzoloh is concerned, a lot of them carry medic gear in the car. Hence the lights and sirens on the POV's. I also doubt anyone tries to mess with them when it comes to that stuff.

What are you correcting in what I posted???

J

ja488

West Hamilton Beach, in addition to a housewatch computer linked to E-331/L-173 also has a voice alarm to the Queens CO.  We tone out on 1 frequency that Broad Channel uses, have another frequency for the rigs to firehouse communication, and use a 3rd frequency for handie talkie purposes.

Fireman5230 said:
In SI the 2 companies are alerted with Horns on the stations.

Last time I drove by Oceanic H&L the horns were down off the roof.  I seem to recall someone telling me that the horns made too much of a racket to suit the (ingrate) neighbors, so they went over to some form of pager alert.  Can anyone confirm?

N

NYCvolley

Down in Breezy Pt. all the three vol depts are toned out with pagers and sirens by the private security force. Almost every call goes through security, unless someone only dials 911.
Every fire emergency the fdny and the vollies are notified. Security has  a box at their headquaters that they pull to get the fdny units rolling to Box 8300 first. Then they tone us out, which simultaneously activates the sirens and pagers and give us a brief message about the nature of the call and address. They then follow up with a call to the direct line to queens dispatch and tell them what they got, so they can send it to the units usually enroute by then. The whole process takes less than a minute, believe it or not.
So we automatically get a 3 and 2 response from fdny. They will usually  return units , for CO runs and only send a ladder co, etc.
98% of the time at least one of the volley companies will beat out the city.  Some of the volley rigs have city dispatch radios in them, which when we are first due we will use to advise incoming units of serious incidents(10-75, pin job, water resuce). All 3 vollie units have a portable city handy talky.
We have a better knowledge of all the addresses in our neighberhood, hydrant locations etc. Many of the 2800 homes are only accessible by sand lanes or emergency access lanes, thousands of feet from parking lots. Some of the paved areas are to small for city apparatus to get anywhere close to. aAll three departments apparatus (5 in total) are 4x4 enginess equipped with ladders, 3 of them have hurst tools, some have heavy rescue tools. All 3 also have the thermal imaging cameras.
            We work well with the city, we dont hold boxes back, we keep their run numbers up(3 &2 response), we dont want them shutting down, all 3 depts will double gate the hydrants so that the city can also hook up.

What is going on with Aviation Co. 3 in the Bronx?  Are they in operation or are they defunct?

IzzyEng4 said:
What is going on with Aviation Co. 3 in the Bronx?  Are they in operation or are they defunct?

I "HEARD" but i dont know if its true that they will be building a new firehouse. But dont take my word for it

Bulldog

Bulldog
I haven't heard anything about Aviation getting a new firehouse but Broad Channel has one planned with Federal money approved but the DOT is presently stopping it.

Here's a link to another thread about it: Firehouse stopped by DOT