NYC VOLUNTEER AMBULANCE CORPS - POSTED 4/14/22

mack

Administrator
There are currently 26 active volunteer ambulance corps across the five boroughs. From a single volunteer corps in The Bronx to 13 in Queens, a total of 138 volunteer ambulances are on the road. Nearly 64% of those vehicles belong to one volunteer corps — Hatzalah, which primarily serves heavily Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods.

Following lists volunteer ambulance organizations by borough include the individual 26 corps, FDNY, NYPD and participating hospital ambulance services.

Lists from:

Last edited:
I herd the Volunteer ambulances (Not the Hospital based Voluntary units ) have been taken out of FDNY CAD
Still the case, How are they notified, is it a case where a homeonwner calls a Comunity volunteer ambulance and they call FDNY, or do they respond and they FDNY is never notified?

There are currently 26 active volunteer ambulance corps across the five boroughs. From a single volunteer corps in The Bronx to 13 in Queens, a total of 138 volunteer ambulances are on the road. Nearly 64% of those vehicles belong to one volunteer corps — Hatzalah, which primarily serves heavily Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods.

Following lists volunteer ambulance organizations by borough include the individual 26 corps, FDNY, NYPD and participating hospital ambulance services.

Lists from:

Great Stuff, Thanks

btw: My Old Squad in Binghamton, NY Listed -
Broome Volunteer Emergency Squad, Inc. 0348 Certified 261 Court Street First Responder 3/31/2023
Binghamton, NY 13902 Independent EMT-P 5 (607)778-1918 (607)772-6565 5 :cool:
Paid/Volunteer Squad

FYI: In the City of Binghamton, BFD has 1 Staffed Ambulance 24/7, Binghamton Bureau of Fire, City of 0314 Certified
38 Hawley St Ambulance 2/28/2024 Binghamton, NY 13901 Municipal EMT-P 3 (607)778-1911 (607)772-7016 3 Y

Broome Volunteer and Superior EMS (Private)
rotate Back-up/2nd Amb. Assignments.

Last edited:
I herd the Volunteer ambulances (Not the Hospital based Voluntary units ) have been taken out of FDNY CAD
Still the case, How are they notified, is it a case where a homeonwner calls a Comunity volunteer ambulance and they call FDNY, or do they respond and they FDNY is never notified?
I believe some have been participating in the FDNY CAD. Those who have been, are given mobile smart phone MDTs - same ones FDNY EMS uses in the leased vehicles that don’t have normal MDTs. I believe this is a fairly new program. In Brooklyn, I know Bed-Stuy vollies and/or Park Slope vollies have been running with the unit designation of 93K and I believe 93F aswell. I’ve noticed that their 89 (CSL) is the same location despite which volly unit is running, meaning that I’ve seen Bed-Stuy Vollies unit one night sitting in the same place I saw East Flatlands Volly unit a different night - probably both using the same unit designation. Not sure about the finer details, this is all just observational.

Here's a few add on to the Boro of Queens

Glendale Volunteer Ambiance Corps
Middle Village Volunteer Ambulance Corps
Woodhaven/ Richmond Hill Volunteer Amb.
Lindenwood Volunteer Ambulance Corps
Forest Hills Volunteer Ambulance Corps

** note ** Within the last year or so the Ridgewood , Glendale , Middle Village and Woodhaven / Richmond Hill vollied merged.

Saw Glean Oaks Volunteer Ambulance Corp up the street from 251 the other day

Last edited:

RCL

I didnt see Broad Channel Volunteers on the list or Lindenwood either.

RCL

I believe some have been participating in the FDNY CAD. Those who have been, are given mobile smart phone MDTs - same ones FDNY EMS uses in the leased vehicles that don’t have normal MDTs. I believe this is a fairly new program. In Brooklyn, I know Bed-Stuy vollies and/or Park Slope vollies have been running with the unit designation of 93K and I believe 93F aswell. I’ve noticed that their 89 (CSL) is the same location despite which volly unit is running, meaning that I’ve seen Bed-Stuy Vollies unit one night sitting in the same place I saw East Flatlands Volly unit a different night - probably both using the same unit designation. Not sure about the finer details, this is all just observational.

I dont know if its still the case, or things may have progressed, but a lot of the volunteer ambulances were or are part of what was called MARS. Mutual Aid Response System. Each Dept, had a unique 3 digit identifier, like West Hamiltons is 94C, Broad Channel is 94R. That system goes back to the 90s at least when I was there. What could have happened, and Ive been wrong before, is that the system evolved and the MARS participants are now in the EMS CAD, which they werent before. The city was also supposed to monitor the radio frequency that we all used, but never seemed to work out that way.

Last edited:

RCL

I cant speak for all the Vol departments, but for WHB, if we got a call, and we had a crew available, we would respond and not call the CIty. Unless it was something that would need ALS intervention, like a cardiac arrest.
If say, I was there alone, the policy was to take the info, dispatch the call for our volunteers, ( we had several that lived within walking distance from the station) and call the City, so somebody was going. It only takes about 30 seconds at most to alert the Dept for a call. 15 was the average.
Same thing with fires. If we had a crew in qtrs, wed respond, and pass it along either on the phone, or over the Queens frequency. Occasionally both. Or if we were waiting on a crew, wed still pass it along.

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
BSVAC uses the unit designation 93F & does run “Mutual Aid” with FDNY EMS using one of the mobile CADs. Not sure about park slope, but I would be surprised if they put them in the Bedstuy 89.

When I was at Flatlands VAC, we had a potable radio with engine 309. They would call us on it for all their EMS runs.
Back in the 70s and 80s when l was with the
Middle Village Vollys l was a Aux. Capt w/319.
When l worked with my regular crew on Saturday Nights we would pull the Ambulance into the bay next to 319s rig and roll on jobs with them. And by the way the firehouse dinners were amazing.