NYCFire.net ZOOM MEETING INVITE - THEY SAVED NEW YORK, the men & women of FDNY. - This Tuesday night.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Zoom Meeting

Special Presentation

MONTHLY ZOOM MEETING

THIS COMING TUESDAY NIGHT,

1 AUGUST, 2023 @ 1930 Hours

Topic will be

the upcoming release of the book

THEY SAVED NEW YORK

The men and women of the FDNY

By

Glenn Usdin & Dan Potter

Joining us will be both Glenn Usdin along with the one & only ‘Johnny Gage’

(aka Dan Potter) Both speakers are members of NYCFire.net

Glenn Usdin

Mr. Usdin has been a published professional photographer for over 50 years, as well as a nationally recognized fire chief. Usdin’s fireground action images, as well as his highly evocative portraits, reflect a strong straightforward style. He was the Associate Publisher of Fire Engineering magazine in the 1980’s and has done work for numerous publications and advertising clients. They Saved New York is a stunning compilation of his photography, spanning almost 50 years of taking photos of fires and firefighters. He combines strong photographic skills with an innate knowledge of firefighting to produce the dynamic images in this book. Working initially in the busy NY metro area, he is now based in Lancaster PA. He is rarely without a camera at his side. Contact Glenn at glenn@theysavedny.com

Dan Potter

Dan Potter is a retired FDNY firefighter who has an uncanny ability to tell stories that bring the reader right into the firehouse and on the fire ground. Dan has developed a strong following from his frequent postings on social media. He is currently publishing a series of short stories of his journey from a teenager visiting his firefighter uncle in a busy war years firehouse, and bringing the readers through his career in many busy FDNY companies, up to his very close call with death as a 9/11 responder.

FIRE DEPARTMENT RESUME:

1970-1975. Buff with FDNY Ladder 31 before Report from Engine Co 82 came out.

1975-1979. Joined Brentwood Volunteer Fire Department

1979-1982. Washington DC Firefighter

Highlight: Executed Scaling Ladder rescue April 1982. (According to DC Vinny Dunne this was the last scaling ladder rescue made in North America)

1982-1986 FDNY Engine Co. 88

1986-1988 FDNY Ladder Co. 38

1988-1994 FDNY Ladder Co 112

1994-2001 FDNY Ladder Co 5 (Ladder Company Chauffeur)

2001-2002 FDNY Tower Ladder Co 31 (Retired from 9/11 injuries)

QUALIFICATIONS:

National Certified Fire Instructor I

New York State Fire Officer I & II

FEMA & NYS Fire Safety Officer

ICS: 200,300,400,700

ACTIVITY:

Training Officer for 2 volunteer fire departments (Brentwood, East Brentwood FD)

CERT Instructor (Eastchester NY)

Vice-chair for the creation and development of Pike County Fire Training Center.

1st Pike County Fire Training Director (and Program Developer)

Wayne / Pike County (Pa) Red Cross Disaster Manager

Created Wayne / Pike County Animal response team

Member NJ/NY/PA Regional Terrorism Task Force

Member Pike County Local Emergency Planning Committee

Dan is very well respected among FDNY alumni. Contact Dan Potter at dan@theysavedny.com

Afterwards, we will continue our chat over the virtual kitchen table.

THIS SPECIAL MEETING IS OPEN ONLY TO REGISTERED MEMBERS OF NYCFIRE.NET. WEBSITE

If you are already a member contact
Atlas@NYCFire.net for the special invite instructions. There is limited space so make your request early.

NYCFire.net membership is free for all those who are interested in the fire service.

Proceed to the website at NYCFire.net and signup to become an active member. After being accepted, please contact
Atlas@NYCFire.net if you are interested in attending this meeting.

As a member of NYCFire.net you are automatically a member of the IFBA (International Fire Buff Association). Their new, nearly 200 page, magazine known as ‘TURN OUT’ is located on the Internet at IFBA.ORG

The latest edition is Summer - Fall of 2023 edition.

MONTHLY MEETINGS ARE HELD ON THE FIRST TUESDAY OF EACH MONTH. Changes will be announced in advance. Meeting dates for 2023 are: 05 SEP, 03 OCT, 07 NOV, AND 05 DEC.

THANK YOU Atlas.
Would you please enter me, "NFD2004" as one who is joining in on this Zoom Meeting, Tuesday evening, August 1, 2023.

I don't think I've missed any of these Zoom Meetings since their very beginning.
I have certainly enjoyed them and have also learned from them as well.

I am sure looking forward to this one.

Willy D., aka "NFD2004"

I have been trying to log onto the meeting. When I click Atlas it says I cannot reach that address.