NYPD 1970s

69 METS said:
mack said:

We were using the same type rig (Only they were painted white over orange or white over red ... they had both) In the late 70's when I was working for N.Y.C. E.M.S. under the Health & Hospitals regime.

http://stevespak.com/spak/ems/ems136.jpg Steve Spak Photo.

"69mets", I remember that. And I think I have a few pictures of those older EMS units in my vast collection. They were color slides put on disk. I also have the old MERV units, even ESU that was stationed in Brooklyn (58th St ?). I'll make up another disk and maybe one of the guys at the Get Together can post them for me. "r1SmokeEater" and "FDNY1075k" have already done more than their share for me.

I have some older police vehicle photos, but only of the blue/white color scheme.

Con Ed went to the present white and blue first. The vehicle manufacturers started charging almost $2000.00 more per vehicle for the dual blue and gray paint scheme so basic no extra charge white was chosen and then the blue graphics applied when delivered. I think that was also why the PD bought basic white.
Think about it, a Police Department changing colors because a Power Company did.

^^^^^^ The NYPD black green & white colors were changed to light blue & white supposedly to present a more soothing & less agressive apearance when rolling up to a situation...this was the work of Brian Mulhern a Detective who was a Police Commissioners executive assistant during the Koch years....he also was an avid Fire Buff who wore a trademark crumpled hat & a suit & trench coat & several radios...he had a tremendous amount of power in NYC....i remember one time at a Fire a FF was injured & no ambulance was available ....he stopped a nearby City Bus... ID ed himself to the driver ordered all the passengers off & had the FF put on & taken to the hosp on the City Bus.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Talking about Brian Mulheren, one evening a firefighter from Ladder 19 was found unconscious in the basement of a supermarket during a multiple alarm fire. The FF was transported to Lincoln Hospital. Several weeks before this incident, we learned that the hyperbaric chamber that had been installed on City Island to assist deep sea divers suffering from the bends at UDC years back was being offered for FDNY use. Brian was with the Fire Commissioner & Chief of Department at Lincoln Hospital. The four of us had spoken about the chamber only a few weeks before, now it would be put to its test. I was called and proceeded to get permission from the doctor who oversaw the chambers operation to move the FF to City Island. We needed less than an hour for setup. Once we were ready at the City Island site, Brian shut down East 149 St in front of Lincoln Hospital for a NYPD Med-Vac Aviation unit to land. The FF was placed on board. Engine 70 was special called to the landing site and the rest is history. It was the first time that a hyperbaric chamber was used to save a FDNY members life who was injured in a fire. And Thank God not the last time. According to doctors later that evening at Jacobi Hospital it saved the FF three weeks in the ICU.