nypd esu

Aloha, i hope I'm not out of line asking about this subject on nypd but I'm pretty imprest with the knowledge and patients everyone has on this site. I'm interested in the ESU heavy rescues and equipment that they have. Its a unique system they have combining a swat style and rescue style, and some are even EMT and rescue certified. I wanted to ask how they would be incorporated in a incident like a 10-60 and what role they would play. what equipment would response and so forth. i also read about a special truck called a ( CARV ) construction accident response vehicle. are they similar to a collapse truck or do they have a different role. 8) mahalo very much ;)

As an outsider of the FDNY and NYPD, I think it's best if you go onto the NYPD Official web site to inquire about the ESU. Let me just say, there have been some good, and some not so good feelings on the matter. However, I do want to say that on 9/11, "Two Brothers", one a FDNY member, and the other a member of the NYPD ESU, both lost their life that day. They were both sons of a retired FDNY Firefighter. I think there is a video out there called "The Twin Towers" that tells their story. Very sad.
  I will say that the officers of the NYPD ESU compare to the FDNY Members of SOC (Special Operations Cmmand). The members of ESU man the Emergency Service Trucks, K9 Units, Harbor etc, just as the FDNY SOC mans the Rescues, Squads, Haz Mat etc.
  I think there are ten Emergency Service Units spread throughout the city. Each Emergency Service Unit operates one or two smaller trucks, and most have a Larger Emergency Truck. Example: Adam 1, Boy 1 (smaller trucks), and Truck 1 (large truck) operate out of "Emergency Service Unit 1".
  And as an outsider I will say those officers, as all NYPD police officers and FDNY firefighters do, risk their lives daily for the people of The City of New York. I am witness to that as I've seen those NYPD ESU officers at work. All have very dangerous jobs, and I hope the citizens of NYC appreciate what they do.

Here are the locations of ESU Trucks (the big units)
Emergency Service Squads (or Trucks):

* ESS-1 (Lower Manhattan),
    * ESS-2 (Upper Manhattan),
    * ESS-3 (East and South Bronx),
    * ESS 4 (West and North Bronx),
    * ESS-5 (Staten Island),
    * ESS-6 (South Brooklyn),
    * ESS-7 (East Brooklyn),
    * ESS-8 (North Brooklyn),
    * ESS-9 (South Queens),
    * ESS-10 (North Queens), and
    * ESS-11 (Assigned to ESU Headquarters).
So there are a total of 11 heavy trucks located in NYC.
Then there are around 40 (+/-2) so called :"REP-units"
Those are the units that ESU uses in their normal patrols.
Each REP is equipped with scuba gear, medical kits and rescue equipment including heavy hydraulics (jaws of life etc.)
ESU has also two Lenco Bearcat and two Lenco Peacekeeper armored vehicles.

Also a lot of more units.

The motto of ESU tells it all: "When a citizen need help, they call the police. When the police needs help tehy call us, The Emergency Service unit"
ESU has to deall with any emergency. From traffic accidents to planes crashing to buildings.

With the exception of police matters ESU is just an unneccessary duplication of services. No need for ESU at FDNY single command emergencies.

This is a perennial issue, particularly when the budget is tight.  Close fire companies, but no mention of cutting back on NYPD's ESU.  With all due respect to the ESU and its dedicated members, they're the best when it comes to tactical matters, barricaded EDPs, jumpers, violent offenders, warrant service, active shooters and so forth.  Why do we need armed police officers responding to hazmat jobs, auto extrication jobs, building collapses and so on?  Is this the best use of limited budgetary resources?

Bulldog

Bulldog
XLIVLIXXVIII said:
With the exception of police matters ESU is just an unneccessary duplication of services. No need for ESU at FDNY single command emergencies.
Very true, and also be saying mentioned above forgot the last part: "When ESU needs help in a rescue situation they call FDNY".  ESU needs to exist for special assistance issues for police matters much like some cities have SWAT teams.  Except for NYPD very few people see the need for them in rescues and hazardous materials situations.

Bulldog

Bulldog
JJFLOOD said:
This is a perennial issue, particularly when the budget is tight.  Close fire companies, but no mention of cutting back on NYPD's ESU.  With all due respect to the ESU and its dedicated members, they're the best when it comes to tactical matters, barricaded EDPs, jumpers, violent offenders, warrant service, active shooters and so forth.  Why do we need armed police officers responding to hazmat jobs, auto extrication jobs, building collapses and so on?  Is this the best use of limited budgetary resources?
[size=10pt]Definitely not! [/size]

JJFLOOD said:

NYC is the only major city that has cops doing FD work such as Haz Mat, building collapse, auto extrication.

I too share the same admiration and respect for any Police Officer as does nfd. I do not have the tolerance nor patience to be a Police Officer and deal with the knuckleheads they see everyday. I also agree that ESU has its need when it comes to law enforcement activities. It is without a doubt duplicative and their manpower/resources would be better served in the law enforcement capacity and not in a Fire/EMS role. Mixing armed personnel with Hazmat, vehicle extrication, EMS, building collapses etc. is a bad combination.

Had a conversation with a Police Officer on a similar subject many years ago, my end statement was "you don't need us (Fire) at a bank robbery, we don't need you (PD) at a dumpster fire"

I can see the need for NYPD to have some equipment like a dive unit and for certain circumstances like a  hostage or a barricade situation where they would need to get in by other means , but i totally agree with everyone on having redundant equipment. I'm still interested on why NYPD would have a unit that would respond to a construction accident.  "the CARV truck what do they think Tony Soprano is on the job site"

I have to jump in on these one, Agree with the above members that ESU does not have their place in wrecks or certain rescue jobs and that they do an excellent job at the tactical and warrant stuff. I remember when I was working bad wrecks on the GCP, many times and ESU would be there first and begin the extrication with no gloves or Protective gear on what so ever. Good luck telling them to wait a second " need to get a collar on the pt " and they(ESU) just ignore you and do a half ass job, and I say half ass cuz it seems that they were rushing to open the door or remove the roof before FD got there. Then would have FD one on side and ESU on the other. Working in Jamaica (50V), had the privilege of encountering many EDP's or Psych Emerg's and would have to request ESU because of SOP, when a person was barricaded in a room. Could be 4 or 94 years old and would still have to request them. Most times they were unhappy for being called and would make the scene WORSE. As nfd said they do risk their lives and are DAMN good cops, but that's it---COPS!
  The CARV truck is cross staffed by ESU members. I think there are 2 of them. 1 in the Bronx(esu3) the other in Brooklyn (ESU6). When they are dispatched on a collapse they respond back to their station, just as FD would have to do, if out, to get the CARV truck and then 1 member would drive the CARV truck as needed. ESU also has a large Tractor Trailer at Floyd Field in Bklyn, with nothing but wood and saws. Waste of money.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Seems like we're all in agreement that ESU should not respond to accidents, hazardous material incidents or collapses.  Will somebody please just writing letter to the administration to tell them that?  Without those duties I'm sure ESU resources could be cut substantially thus saving some FDNY resources from being on the cutting block.

Now why cant FDNY have those rescue trucks NYPD has and patrol around the city and respond to accidents and other medical emergency's. its a good concept for that fact, i just don't know why it's NYPD. they should also give up that CARV truck to one of the squads. hey maybe FDNY can get a EOD truck and start doing the job of the bomb squad!! ;D

ESU used to be on the highways for accident a lot more then they are now. The can't handle the amount of other calls they have so they have been cutting back on the highway.
  ESU would also always beat us into those accidents because their dispatch would hold back notifying FD since everything goes through their dispatch.

vbcapt said:
I too share the same admiration and respect for any Police Officer as does nfd. I do not have the tolerance nor patience to be a Police Officer and deal with the knuckleheads they see everyday. I also agree that ESU has its need when it comes to law enforcement activities. It is without a doubt duplicative and their manpower/resources would be better served in the law enforcement capacity and not in a Fire/EMS role. Mixing armed personnel with Hazmat, vehicle extrication, EMS, building collapses etc. is a bad combination.

Had a conversation with a Police Officer on a similar subject many years ago, my end statement was "you don't need us (Fire) at a bank robbery, we don't need you (PD) at a dumpster fire"

Its amazing to hear that statement about robberies/dumster fires, I ignorantly thought that that opinion was only a local opinion. Unfortunatly the police dept. where I live responds to every emergency in town, fire, ems, etc. The funny thing is none of them are trained to mitigate any emegency but are always the first on the radio to tell us to respond under caution, or cancel. A few years ago I remember the dispatcher telling us to cancel per PD on scene, the apparatus driver responded with " All FD apparatus will be continueing its a fire alarm, not a burgler alarm" now that members kid is a cop and he is constantly preaching just the opposite.

When our Company gets a radio message to cancel per PD for a Fire/EMS run, I come back and say "I need more info than that" and we continue in. Most of the time there's injuries and we have to get a refusal or the patient DOES need/want transport. 2 months ago dispatch informed us to cancel going to a brush fire per PD, we went in and behold, brush fire ! 2 Officers standing in a parking lot watching it.

Same here in the Middle Tennessee area, the ONLY agency that can cancel ALL responses from any outside agency is the Tennessee Highway Patrol, think they are trying to cut down on apparatus placement on the Highway. They do understand our safety well and they do take that into account. It's more of the POV response on the Interstates they don't want, for safety reasons.

Our State Police are the best !! We both work well together and neither side gives/gets any grief. Our City cops are great too but, some of them think they need to go to everything and that they can handle everything by themselves.

Years ago we were dispatched to a report of children trapped on a barge. As we left quarters, the fire boat that was assigned to the box advised the responding Battalion Chief that N.Y.P.D. Harbor had informed them via the marine radio that the services of the Fire Department would not be required as they were already on the scene and had rescued the children. The Battalion Chief wisely ordered all F.D. units to continue responding until an F.D. unit arrived on the scene and confirmed that nobody was in danger. Needless to say, when the Chief arrived he found that a young female was in fact stranded on an old abandoned barge and no P.D. were anywhere to be found. While the F.D. was in the process of rowing out to rescue the victim, a P.D. chopper arrived and started hovering at a very low level above the F.D. inflatable boat making it nearly impossible to reach the barge. The B.C. had to order the F.D. dispatcher to contact the P.D. to stop interfering with the rescue.