nypd esu

B

Bigandy

How many runs does a typical ESU Squad do per year? Just to get some figures in my head.

Wasn't it just last year when there where people stranded in the tram in the Bronx zoo?  The FDNY which trains there for that situation with the park was not even called in for the rescue. Police kept it for themselves. A Battalion Chief for that area saw it on the news and had the units dispatched.

PD likes to hold calls from the FD especially if it is news worthy.

Bulldog

Bulldog
In2theJob said:
Wasn't it just last year when there where people stranded in the tram in the Bronx zoo?  The FDNY which trains there for that situation with the park was not even called in for the rescue. Police kept it for themselves. A Battalion Chief for that area saw it on the news and had the units dispatched.

PD likes to hold calls from the FD especially if it is news worthy.
I remember that one.  If I remember correctly there was also a lot of controversy afterwards.  Doesn't seem like anything ever came of it however.

In2theJob said:
  ESU would also always beat us into those accidents because their dispatch would hold back notifying FD since everything goes through their dispatch.

Things are not held back. It all depends on how it is put into either their computer, or EMS. If it's reported to us via phone alarm, or UCT(two different things), there's almost a simultaneous dispatch.

If they put it in as a certain radio code, we don't get it. I have seen delays, don't get me wrong, but nothing gets held.

FDNY150 said:
In2theJob said:
  ESU would also always beat us into those accidents because their dispatch would hold back notifying FD since everything goes through their dispatch.

Things are not held back. It all depends on how it is put into either their computer, or EMS. If it's reported to us via phone alarm, or UCT(two different things), there's almost a simultaneous dispatch.

If they put it in as a certain radio code, we don't get it. I have seen delays, don't get me wrong, but nothing gets held.

::)

I feel lucky that over here in London, we are the only fire and rescue agency that attends fires, hazmats, and rescues and road traffic accidents, we get no interference from anyone, in fact, since 2002, the fire and rescue service senior officer on scene at any road traffic accident has overall authority on the scene, not the police. We have 22(!!) fire rescue units, crewed by 5 or 6 firefighters, simmilar in role and equipment to FDNYs rescues and Squads. Thses guys are trained in line rescue, hazmat, and just about anything and everything, and we have a further four, USAR bases/stations, which are again supplemented by a dedicated HAZMAT and mass decontamination section, with units scattered around Londons 113 fire stations ( i think 113, it could be 112).

From what i have read here, althogh we moan and bitch about the FRU crews, i feel lucky not to have the battle with our Police that you guys do.
For what its worth, in Sydney, New South wales, Australia(who claim to have the busiest fire station in the world!!), there is a Police Rescue squad, who are just trianed solely for rescue, accidents and hazmat and EOD, they do not do tactical work, they patrol round in specialy eqioped 4x4's and toyota vans, responding to road accidents and all things rescue, and from what i understand are the sole rescue agency in the city, the fire service has limited equipment and input and limited role in Sydney as far as rescue goes, i might be wrong on this but its what i believe to be the case.

JT

Why is the NYPD ESU established?
The motto is:"When the public needs help, they call the police. When the POLICE needs help they call the ESU"

It sucks that the police and FD need to "fight" who gets the calls.

Fire dept is there to safe people. Police is to secure them from each other.
Police makes sure that it is safe for the FDNY to do the job.

Now they are protecting and doing the job.

Must be really annoying for the FF's in NYC.