NYPD Going Encrypted. Next Is FDNY?

Jurisdictions all over the country are going encrypted. If you really want one of these scanners look online for a used one. Like Redevil 59 stayed above they can quickly become useless

Thank you "jlab".
We are seeing this taking place throughout many cities and towns across the country.

Not just with police, but as the title of this topic suggest - maybe fire departments too.

The days of listening in might be coming to an end
Was great when you could just punch in the numbers for the frequency assigned for anyplace within the country.

Thank you "jlab".
We are seeing this taking place throughout many cities and towns across the country.

Not just with police, but as the title of this topic suggest - maybe fire departments too.

The days of listening in might be coming to an end
Was great when you could just punch in the numbers for the frequency assigned for anyplace within the country.
I remember when Bearcat made the 210, the first programable base scanner, no more running around for crystals. It also had a search feature, all you had to do was put in an upper and lower limit and see what came up. Then came the hand-held version and you could go anywhere and monitor to your heart's content. Sadly those days are slowly disappearing.

I keep getting messages from people regarding FDNY….. so here is what I am told… the FDNY can go encrypted within a few minutes. They have the ability too. There is still a decent amount of radios that have to be changed tho. Very possible it will happen but not necessarily that you won’t hear anything. Might still be able to hear Tac. At minimum 2-3 years away until department is fully ready. Doesn’t help with the EMS nonsense sadly I was told so might come sooner.

I keep getting messages from people regarding FDNY….. so here is what I am told… the FDNY can go encrypted within a few minutes. They have the ability too. There is still a decent amount of radios that have to be changed tho. Very possible it will happen but not necessarily that you won’t hear anything. Might still be able to hear Tac. At minimum 2-3 years away until department is fully ready. Doesn’t help with the EMS nonsense sadly I was told so might come sooner.
Curious about the EMS Nonsense part of your post and what you are referring to. How would EMS either inhibit or expedite FDNY radio encryption ?

Curious about the EMS Nonsense part of your post and what you are referring to. How would EMS either inhibit or expedite FDNY radio encryption ?
There are Instagram accounts which will post unprofessional EMS radio transmissions and unfortunately I think some crews are unnecessarily unprofessional in an attempt to get their "15 minutes of fame".

There are Instagram accounts which will post unprofessional EMS radio transmissions and unfortunately I think some crews are unnecessarily unprofessional in an attempt to get their "15 minutes of fame".
Yup I actually follow one of those channels I clearly remember Paterson Engine 3 hopping on the air (I believe it was E3) and the conversation basically was "Engine 3 to Dispatch, traffic is still coming, can you get the cops to shut the ####### road please" or something close to that, plus I remmeber EMS blasting Drake over the radio.

I am aware of that activity and I agree it's unsafe and unprofessional. Now that you point it out I can see how Encryption would be an easy way to control things. Then again I remember people being held accountable for EVERYTHING they said on the radio and the manner in which they said it ! Kept things safe and professional. Sadly I think the whole "you have two ears and one mouth and should be listing twice as much as you are talking" is a thing of the past.