NYPD to begin new RMP striping design

Bulldog

Bulldog
I'm not sure what to say about them, one thing I can say is that they are "certainly different"! They look more like a vehicle that should be driven by a Forest Ranger instead of NYPD.

I'm not sure what to say about them, one thing I can say is that they are "certainly different"! They look more like a vehicle that should be driven by a Forest Ranger instead of NYPD.
Yes. I kinda had the same reaction 😂. The upper longer green stripe maybe not so bad. It’s a nostalgic touch to the old green and whites decades ago and with the stars it reflects on the NYPD flag. But the stripes on the lower rear quarter panel - ehhh not so much.

More comfortable???? In the front seat of a Ford Explorer jammed with radios, MDT, and other electronics while wearing duty belt and winter jacket ??? I don’t think comfortable comes to mind. In a Tahoe yes !
Pct. RMP's do not have radios, MOS are issued portable radios. The tablet is inserted into the holder shown in the pictures. They have plenty of room with the belt and jacket on. Tahoes would be great. The Fusions and Impalas really didn't have much room.

Pct. RMP's do not have radios, MOS are issued portable radios. The tablet is inserted into the holder shown in the pictures. They have plenty of room with the belt and jacket on. Tahoes would be great. The Fusions and Impalas really didn't have much room.
You're telling me that the Radio Motor Patrol cars don't have radios?

Pct RMP's not anymore. Hwy, ESU, and specialty units yes. How you see the inside of the car minus the Tablet is how it looks when you get in.

Last edited:
More and more urban places getting away from mobile radios. They use the portables only or the converta com type device from Motorola is making a comeback. In most cases with every cop and firefighters is issued a portable so no need for mobiles. However in suburban and rural areas the need for stronger signal may necessitate mobiles

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
The removal of mobile radios from NYPD vehicles not only saved money, but it also removed another reason why the vehicle could not be used. Years back, if the radio in the car did not work, the vehicle was placed out of service.

Of course, the new 360-degree camera is a great addition, but it makes me think "Big brother is always watching!". Its only the beginning of what our future has in store.

I'm sure there was a lot of thought that went into this change, I think the color scheme may give off more of a friendlier appearance given the turbulent times we now know. I'm waiting for the NYPD to change their uniform from the navy blue that Giuliani implemented to "enhancde authority."

mack

Administrator
Yes. I kinda had the same reaction 😂. The upper longer green stripe maybe not so bad. It’s a nostalgic touch to the old green and whites decades ago and with the stars it reflects on the NYPD flag. But the stripes on the lower rear quarter panel - ehhh not so much.
Yeah, loose the bottom two stripes and it's not too bad.