October 16, 1970

Another anniversary of the rescue on Adelphi Street in Brooklyn. Rest in Peace to the participants who are no longer with us. Continued thoughts and prayers for the families and friends at home and on the job.

mack

Administrator
1261Truckie said:
Another anniversary of the rescue on Adelphi Street in Brooklyn. Rest in Peace to the participants who are no longer with us. Continued thoughts and prayers for the families and friends at home and on the job.

Brooklyn Box 613, 2108 hrs., 442 Adelphi Street, fire reported in a 60x100 commercial garage structure

- Front doors forced, two hand lines lines advanced.  Heavy smoke condition.
    - Third line advanced into cellar where heavy fire was discovered
    - Members operating hand lines on main floor ordered to back out due to serious cellar fire
    - 2nd alarm transmitted
    - Two members or E 219 fell through open 4x4 hatch into cellar
    - 3rd alarm transmitted
    - Lt James Geraghty and FF Albert Orokos were both dazed or unconscious in cellar
    - L 105 lowered ladder through hatch - R 2 members descended into involved cellar
    - Lt Richard Hamilton and FF William Polera were R 2 members
    - E 219 members were found - Lt Geraghty was unconscious and FF Orokos was dazed
    - A hand line and roof rope were passed into cellar
    - FF Orokos was helped up the ladder by FF Polera while Lt Hamilton used handline to maintain position
    - LT Geraghty was removed by rope
    - All four members required hospital treatment
    - FF Polera awarded Brooklyn Citizen's Medal
    - Lt Hamilton awarded James Gordon Bennett Medal

All members who have passed away - RIP - Never forget.

^^^^^^^^Three of Jim Geraghty's Sons came OTJ & 2 are still Active & one Ed was killed on 9-11 ......2 of his Grandsons are OTJ.

I didn't remember this when I first read about it. But when other facts and details were presented, one part that I would like to add here.

I had heard that when the metal ladder was placed into the opening to climb down and make that rescue of those firefighters, that ladder got melted from the high heat in that area. That's how hot it was down there.