Old Marine Unit Docked in Manhattan

Couldn’t get a pic on departure from Manhattan

Got a terrible pic while returning to Manhattan

No idea what street/pier this boat is at

Or what boat it is

I do know it is north of Marine 1’s Quarters

80646BEF-F36E-47B3-B6A7-8440D9B436A2.jpeg

2F%2Fwww.nyfd.com%2Ffrontpage%2Fharvey%2F4-22-01_1.jpg
Probably the Harvey. If you look at Signal 73's photo, you can just see the white canopy over the stern area, as shown above.
This picture is from nyfd.co (Thomas Willet)

I covered a vacation as a Lieutenant in 1985, on the Harvey when it was still active as Marine Co. #2 F.D.N.Y. A Great Captain Marty Mcanuff, a well-respected, former member of Rescue 2, during the war years., and also a great group of firefighters. In the whole month I was covering there we only actually responded once, but that was to supply a Satellite unit at a 4th Alarm near the East River in Long Island City, Queens. In short, we were exposed to heavy smoke drifting towards the East River, and we could not move the fireboat. because we were "Hooked up" to the Satellite, hose.
I have on my office wall a beautiful photo of the MacEntire deck monitor, on the stern of the Harvey, with the World Trade Center Towers all lit up, before the 9/112/01 Attack. "NEVER FORGET" Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 Retired

Looks like "Governor Alfred E. Smith" or "John D. McKean"
Definitely not the Smith Class of boats, and the McKeon had a water tower similar to the one formerly on the original Firefighter.
Also, if this is a recent photo, it couldn't be the Harvey either, since it was repainted in that hideous "camo" design. This is the Harvey today. (ugh!)

FB_NY_FDNY_Harvey-Paint_042319-04675.jpg

Looks like "Governor Alfred E. Smith" or "John D. McKean"
This is the "Smith Class" of 106 ft. fireboats (along with [not shown] the Dr. Harry M.Archer, Senator Robert Wagner and the H.Silvia A.H.G. Wilkes)
That last boat in the rear right is the John McKean.
FB%20FDNY%20Marine%20Division%20071411A-1928.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely not the Smith Class of boats, and the McKeon had a water tower similar to the one formerly on the original Firefighter.
Also, if this is a recent photo, it couldn't be the Harvey either, since it was repainted in that hideous "camo" design. This is the Harvey today. (ugh!)

View attachment 31161
Specifically that is dazzle camouflage developed in WWI. Seems like it would create an unnecessary hazard in New York Harbor.

She is back to her usual white over red color scheme these days, and while that dazzle paintjob may not fit everybodys idea of attractive, it did get the boat and organization quite a bit of media and public attention, not to mention two "free" trips to Caddells for haulout and painting. In the non-profit historical vessel business, a six-figure bill you dont have to fundraise for is always a win!