Old Squad 41 Photo

Found this on twitter

?Squad 41 with Jack Kleehaus on the helm.
Some heavy hitters in this picture.
Photo: Matty Daly?

Fill us in on this one 68JK09

1990  FF Louie Benitez....me...FF Bob Athanas recently RET as the Senior Man in R*3...FF Bob Kannabe RET from R*3... FF Tom Cotter still OTJ Marine BN...FF John Citarella RET as a LT in R*3.

Hello Brothers
I?ve been following this site for some time and enjoy reading all the stories.
I figure it time for me to step up.
In April 1995 I was promoted to Lt and assigned to the 26 battalion. I spent about 2 months covering Dennis Mironchik?s spot in Squad 41. I worked with some great guys. Paul Somin, Don Regan Tony Lamagna, Tom Foley, etc. The Lt?s there were Chris King and Charlie Schmidt and the Capt was Jack Spillane. As a Johnny Lt I couldn?t find my ass with 2 hands and a map, the guys really took care of me.I remember back then you were Engine 41 on the Dept radio but Squad 41 when you reported in at a job. I really loved my time in Sq 41
In the fall of 1995 I got the spot in 96 engine, the Capt. there was an old Lt of mine. In 2000 I was promoted to Capt and slid across the floor to 54 truck. I was there until Aug 2018 when I was retired with a 9/11 illness.
At jobs I would always run into the guys from R3 who I got to know pretty well. 3 of the guys in the picture Athanas, Knobbe, Citerella were in my groups and always stopped to chat. The majority of the  brothers that I worked with in Sq 41 went on to have extraordinary careers. I feel extremely lucky to have had the chance to work with them, even for a short while

Thom

uts3000 said:
Hello Brothers
I?ve been following this site for some time and enjoy reading all the stories.
I figure it time for me to step up.
In April 1995 I was promoted to Lt and assigned to the 26 battalion. I spent about 2 months covering Dennis Mironchik?s spot in Squad 41. I worked with some great guys. Paul Somin, Don Regan Tony Lamagna, Tom Foley, etc. The Lt?s there were Chris King and Charlie Schmidt and the Capt was Jack Spillane. As a Johnny Lt I couldn?t find my ass with 2 hands and a map, the guys really took care of me.I remember back then you were Engine 41 on the Dept radio but Squad 41 when you reported in at a job. I really loved my time in Sq 41
In the fall of 1995 I got the spot in 96 engine, the Capt. there was an old Lt of mine. In 2000 I was promoted to Capt and slid across the floor to 54 truck. I was there until Aug 2018 when I was retired with a 9/11 illness.
At jobs I would always run into the guys from R3 who I got to know pretty well. 3 of the guys in the picture Athanas, Knobbe, Citerella were in my groups and always stopped to chat. The majority of the  brothers that I worked with in Sq 41 went on to have extraordinary careers. I feel extremely lucky to have had the chance to work with them, even for a short while

Thom

Thom, aka "uts3000", we sure welcome you here.

As so many of us here will tell you, "we enjoy reading the stories of guys like you that write about your time with the FDNY". Many of us have become personnel friends because it and because of this site.

I'm sure during some of your time on the job I watched you perform in some of those streets. I have many friends who also joined me once in awhile. We all say the same thing; "we got and education in life, as well as in fighting fires, that we could NEVER get from a book or even a classroom".

As I once said to one member here who was fighting the fires during those very busy years, "didn't you ever notice me in the street watching you guys with my camera in one hand and scanner in the other" ? His answer typical of many FDNY Brothers; "Well Willy, if you weren't wearing a skirt, I didn't really notice". I thought that was GREAT and I never forgot it. You probably already read it here because I posted it a half dozen times already.

Brad, "sig...73", thanks for posting that picture too.

Welcome Aboard, Thom !  8)

I just got my Squad 41 - Lt. Brian Sullivan Memorial T-shirt the other day...
  Lt. Brian Sullivan Memorial Shirt

"On August 10, 2019, Lt. Brian ?Sully? Sullivan passed away unexpectedly at home after operating at Bronx Box 2150. Sully was a 27 year veteran of the FDNY and was well known and respected in the fire service community. He is survived by his wife Irene, and two daughters, Nicole and Samantha. To Honor a great man, a memorial T-Shirt has been designed by the members of Squad Company 41 with the proceeds going to help out his wife and two daughters."
Also - I Notice 'SQ252  & L122' beside Sq.41 logo; Another Great Brooklyn Firefighter !

https://squad41.org/store

Reply # 11 above Thanks to Mack depicts the 1981 Mack when it was first assigned to the original ENG*41....the top one is a photo....  the bottom one is a painting of which many copies were sold by the artist .....in 1989 when ENG*41 was disbanded the Rig was used citywide as a spare then in July 1990 it returned when SQ*41 was organized...many additional tool boxes & equipment were added mostly on top & below the Hose Bed scroll for a picture of the modified '81 & the second hand '89 (click photo to enlarge )  http://www.usfirepolice.net/ny_fdny/ny_fdny_retired_engine_4.html  ....Willy had some nice pictures of the green '81 after it was in service the second time around....in 1990 the Job was offering us the 1987 fully compartmented Mack Pumper that had been at Chauffers School at the Rock since new...it was better suited to our use because of the available compartments however the community activists insisted on dredging up the previous green Mack....it was used for a few more years until it really started to wear out & the Job replaced it with a used 1987 compartmented Mack  (in the link above)  that had been in service in another BX ENG since new.