OSW's Question

B

Bigandy

Just a quick question about Occupied Structural Workers. What constitutes an OSW? A 10-75? Or could it just be rubbish in a building etc?

Thanks,

Andy

Bigandy said:
Just a quick question about Occupied Structural Workers. What constitutes an OSW? A 10-75? Or could it just be rubbish in a building etc?

Thanks,

Andy

If I remember correctly, it's any type of fire that occurs in a structure. It does not have to be a 10-75, All Hands, etc.

B

Bigandy

Okay thanks guys. Because I was under the impression it was a 10-75, but I couldn't see some of these units hitting over 700 10-75's in a year. Another thing that clicked was on Engine 231 and Ladder 120's website, it states after the 720 OSW count, they write, (177-10-75's #1 in the City). So I'm guessing this is a better number as to how many jobs these companies see in a year.

Thanks,

Andy

If you just go by all hands, this could include vacant buildings and brush fires.  OSW was designed to eliminate fire in vacants and non-structural fires.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Also note 10-75 does not have to be used for fires only. New book came out which talks about using a 10-75 for mva's with multiple patients pinned.

Numbers can be massages to look any way you like, there is alot of truth to the saying: "that would be a can job in the Bronx"

B

Bigandy

Okay let's see...what companies see the most 'real' fire duty, as in 1 or more lines stretched in operation?

The meaning of 10-75 has not changed since the time I started scanning in the mid-70's. In its simplest form, 10-75 means send me more help. It doesn't not mean working fire. It could be for a major gas leak, multiple cars alight, CO incidents where an entire building has to be evacuated, etc. Neither of which would be an OSW by the way.

There have been times when the IC used all-hands on arrival with no 10-75 given. Same goes for a second alarm on arrival. No 10-75. So how does the use of that code mean anything?

In 'FDNY An Operational Reference', 2007, (the latest one I have) by James S Griffiths, in the section 'Radio Signals' on page 48;

10-75-A report of a fire or emergency.

Maybe this might want to be changed to -Report if a working incident, need more recources or something simmilar going by Franks message, makes sense.

Looking at Franks Runs and Workers on his website, to get an idea of how busy companies were for fires, i got a better idea from looking at the number of hours that a Battalion worked, this, put side by side with a certain company within that battalions figures, might give an indication of where the busier companies still exist for actual fires.

Ofcourse, there are plenty of serving FDNY guys on here that might actually have that info from their own experience or talk around the kitchen table.

JT

HCO

The FDNY Communications Manual states "10-75   Notification of a Fire or Emergency"  The supplemental text goes on to say "A notification signal transmitted when, in the judgment of the Incident Commander, conditions indicate a fire or emergency that requires a total response of the following units:  4 Engine companies, 2 Ladder companies, 2 Battalion Chiefs, 1 FAST unit, 1 Squad company (if available), 1 Rescue company (if available)."

As Frank often advises, 10-75 is a request for resources, nothing more.  The old 10-30 signal, when first used, did signify "working fire."  However, it was later changed to mean a request for two engines and two ladders at the time the original 10-75 signal, a request for 3 and 2, was introduced.

HCO said:
...The old 10-30 signal, when first used, did signify "working fire."  However, it was later changed to mean a request for two engines and two ladders at the time the original 10-75 signal, a request for 3 and 2, was introduced.

And before the 10-30 were the verbal requests of either "transmit the box" or "fill out the assignment", the latter of which would result in a 3+2 response.

mikeindabronx said:
"The Gun Hill Gang" has been catching a bit of work.

To say the least, I would put them up against any house in the city.... 15/27/20 Chiefs don't give BS signals or use more units than necessary.  They sit in the center pf L39, L37, L51, L61, L41, L56 all of which catch at least 60 All Hands and greater.....