Paramedic Response Program

DAN S. said:
Overkill??? Why do you say that?
Because what actually is being carried as far as eqipment ?....when the FDNY first went to a 2 wheel drive CHEVY/GMC Suburban back in '82 they had seating for nine (if need be)....a few years later they became 4 wheel drive (without the third seat)....the thing with the 4 wheel drive models was 2 things 1-the tires were not proper & 2-most FFs were never schooled in using 4wd.... the overall length back then was within reason as far as fitting into most FHs & not that difficult to tuck out of the way at box....originally these Suburbans were gasoline but after gasoline pumps were phased out of FDNY FHs they became Diesel powered....when Chevy/GMC stopped making a Diesel Suburban the Job went with the Diesel Ford Excursion which (aside from being a clunker) was 11 inches longer adding to problems in Qtrs but more importantly in navigation going to & at a box however even though some more metering equipment etc was added the 2nd seat still offered an additonal mode....the present monster Rigs with the cap & pullout equipment rear were bad enough since there is no heating or cooling inside the cap as far as caring for the metering equipment & the 2nd row seat only accomodates 1 person since the black box handie talkie recorder has to be there (in the heated or cooled environment).....i have as my personal vehicle had a gasoline '77 Chevy Suburban (for 8 yrs)  then an '85 GMC 6.2 Litre Deisel Suburban (for 19 yrs) & now an '03 Chevy Tahoe gasoine model (for 15 yrs).... (all 2wd)....to this day Con Ed use's a Tahoe for their Command Car & i feel this is a perfect Rig for a BN & as far as the fact that Tahoe/Yukons are only gasoline well NYPD use's gasoline from private street station vendors with the same credit card as FDNY use's to purchase gasoline for power equipment....to go to something with a big enclosed Utility Body on the back is overkill....i base this on having spent 10 years in a BN going from the early Suburbans thru the Excursions.   

I am not goin to debate you on this . But are you still on the job? Just asking because I do drive the batt. And they just keep adding more and more stuff for us to carry just like they are doin with the engines and ladders. I do agree the back end with the cap we drive now is stupid and useless space.  It is a pain in the ass to pull out the tray on hills ,takes two guys cause it's so heavy.

^^^^^Dan i have been RET since 2009....i know years ago i "relocated" some of the stuff carried....i had the Shops put a large box on one of the ENGs in my BN & had them carry the Sound Powered Phone System.....the Piercing applicator went to a LAD.....the Maverick Hydrant went to an ENG....some other odds & ends went into a closet.....remaining was basically the Post Radio....TIC... Irons...2 Masks ...2 extinguishers....some small portable radios & meters & some books..... i would be interested in a post here describing what later eqipment may have been added to carry in a BN Rig ?