PIERCE ELECTRIC FIRE APPARATUS

How it still “Zero emission” when it’s utilizing its “I.C.E” internal combustion engine?? That’s talking out of the both sides of your mouth

Bulldog

Bulldog
How it still “Zero emission” when it’s utilizing its “I.C.E” internal combustion engine?? That’s talking out of the both sides of your mouth
It only uses the ICE engine if needed, normally they would only use the electric power. I'd much rather have that option then just have a fire truck sitting at a scene unable to pump or unable to drive back to quarters!

It only uses the ICE engine if needed, normally they would only use the electric power. I'd much rather have that option then just have a fire truck sitting at a scene unable to pump or unable to drive back to quarters!
Yeah I get that, but when it uses the generator, it’s no longer zero emissions. Their claim comes off misleading at best and disingenuous

Bulldog

Bulldog
Yeah I get that, but when it uses the generator, it’s no longer zero emissions. Their claim comes off misleading at best and disingenuous
Yes, but I'm thinking that this type of truck will only be assigned to stations in the more affluent neighborhoods where the call volumes are very low anyway so the ICE engine will be used very seldom. I would certainly rather have that option than to have the truck died when you needed it!

Yes, but I'm thinking that this type of truck will only be assigned to stations in the more affluent neighborhoods where the call volumes are very low anyway so the ICE engine will be used very seldom. I would certainly rather have that option than to have the truck died when you needed it!
Ok that makes sense. Little to no fire duty. Makes more sense then placing it in an area where it’s burning

If there's anyplace that will be the "PROVING GROUD" for electric vehicles, "it will be New York City".
I assume police, ems, and fire dept vehicles (Batt Chief cars) included.
When the time comes to replace fire apparatus, if they are replaced with electric fire trucks, we will have to see how that goes
Just pray that there is NOT another "1977 Blackout" and the loiters set fire to 100s of businesses and buildings.

Here's a look of NYC when the lights went out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xscBfDh9amQ

There are several stories written by members of this site in the History Section titled; "The Blackout"
See link.

www.nycfire.net/forums/threads/7-13-77-the-blackout.24561/

Last edited:

mack

Administrator
You would think that electric fire vehicle manufacturers - there are only a few - would want to field test, discover problems, demonstrate advantages, determine maintenance policies, instill confidence and make improvements in a variety of climates, environments, department sizes, operations, etc. Why wouldn't they supply test apparatus to various departments which could train on and use these units safely as second pieces, or training-only environments to provide real world testing? Maybe because they don't have to.

I suspect rather than a technical, methodical and low risk introductory approach to the fire service, they are counting on already existing political pressure to be first, commit first, buy first, announce first. Electric vehicles and apparatus have futures to varying degrees in the fire service but safety, learning, continued development, and introduction due diligence are more important than headlines. Do it right.

You would think that electric fire vehicle manufacturers - there are only a few - would want to field test, discover problems, demonstrate advantages, determine maintenance policies, instill confidence and make improvements in a variety of climates, environments, department sizes, operations, etc. Why wouldn't they supply test apparatus to various departments which could train on and use these units safely as second pieces, or training-only environments to provide real world testing? Maybe because they don't have to.

I suspect rather than a technical, methodical and low risk introductory approach to the fire service, they are counting on already existing political pressure to be first, commit first, buy first, announce first. Electric vehicles and apparatus have futures to varying degrees in the fire service but safety, learning, continued development, and introduction due diligence are more important than headlines. Do it right.
The world now has millions of forced medical test subjects walking around, .... need l say more? And shouldn't surprise us at all if a "climate / environmental emergency" is declared come mid November.

Bulldog

Bulldog
The world now has millions of forced medical test subjects walking around, .... need l say more? And shouldn't surprise us at all if a "climate / environmental emergency" is declared come mid November.
I certainly don't disagree with this but the problem is even if the United States bend over backwards and spends billions of dollars on environmental issues unless China and India do something nothing we do will mean anything!

I believe that the LA City FD has been testing an electric pumper built by Rosenbaur.It will be interesting to find out the outcome of the testing and whether they decide to expand their fleet with additional electric pumpers.

My biggest fear with the trend towards electric vehicles is whether or not the grid will expand sufficiently and quickly enough to meet the demand for charging energy or whether we will soon have frequent blackouts due to the grid crashing.

I believe that the LA City FD has been testing an electric pumper built by Rosenbaur.It will be interesting to find out the outcome of the testing and whether they decide to expand their fleet with additional electric pumpers.

My biggest fear with the trend towards electric vehicles is whether or not the grid will expand sufficiently and quickly enough to meet the demand for charging energy or whether we will soon have frequent blackouts due to the grid crashing.
Yes, testing is good, should be years of testing across the spectrum with a few pieces if possible, even in service on the job especially in big departments, but not some massive rushed replacement project until they know it's sustainable and will fully function as needed.

If there's anyplace that will be the "PROVING GROUD" for electric vehicles, "it will be New York City".
I assume police, ems, and fire dept vehicles (Batt Chief cars) included.
When the time comes to replace fire apparatus, if they are replaced with electric fire trucks, we will have to see how that goes
Just pray that there is NOT another "1977 Blackout" and the loiters set fire to 100s of businesses and buildings.

Here's a look of NYC when the lights went out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xscBfDh9amQ

There are several stories written by members of this site in the History Section titled; "The Blackout"
See link.

www.nycfire.net/forums/threads/7-13-77-the-blackout.24561/
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand what the 1977 Blackout has to do with electric fire apparatus.

Bulldog

Bulldog

I don't believe it has ever responded to a fire yet, the water tank it ruptured before it ever responded to the 1st fire. I haven't heard how much damage was done but I did hear that it got into the electronics!

I don't believe it has ever responded to a fire yet, the water tank it ruptured before it ever responded to the 1st fire. I haven't heard how much damage was done but I did hear that it got into the electronics!
Went back into service last month.