Queens box numbers

Is there any rhyme or reason as to how the box numbers are set up in Queens. For example Manhattan is very easy to figure out basically the numbers start low in lower Manhattan and get higher as it goes up. Is there any way to know what area the box is in just by hearing the number?

Back in the 60's it was pretty simple, but, things have changed since then-things being box numbers. For example, the majority of the 4400 boxes were in Flushing, most of the 4500 boxes were College Point or the fringe of Flushing. 7500 boxes were Astoria, believe it or not 8000 boxes were Rockaways. Box 4999 used to be North Hempstead Turnpike (now Booth Memorial Avenue) and Parsons Blvd. God only knows what the box number is now.

TFiq .......Queens  boxes are not on amy type of order......At one time it was only on regards to the Rockaways  they had 8000 & 8100  series......Today only if you buffed in queens for many years, you have an idea of part  of queens it is.......Example 4000 boxes are mostly in Ridgewood on the brooklyn queens border.....But there are also some 4ever4000 numbers  in  collage point and whitestone which is located closer to the bronx side of queens.....This its only one example but there are many, many mote......Hope this helps.you but even to the best  oy can be a guessing game.......

Yes that helps I just wasnt sure if I was missing something or not but I guess it is just confusing

A long time ago there was no duplication in box numbers between the boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens. Brooklyn boxes went up to 3xxx or so, and Queens started with 4000 or so, both used the prelminary telegraph signal 7-7. 9-9 as now used for Queens was formerly a signal for Simultaneous Call or Master Box (REALLY BIG fires).

Queens eventually got preliminary signal 9-9, and duplications in box numbers between Brooklyn and Queens occured.

Similarly, in the telegraph days Manhattan and Bronx both used preliminary signal 6-6 (they still do). and there was no dupliaction - Manhattan boxes went up to the high 1800s or so, and Bronx started at 2000 or so.

Most of this differential went out the window with Computer Assisted Dispatching (CAD) instituted in the middle 1970s.