Recent DO

2.1 AMENDMENTS TO DEPARTMENT ORDERS
Paragraph 2.1.1 of Supplement No. 71 to Department Order No. 79, dated September 10, 2019, titled Firefighter Transfers, is amended as follows:
From To Firefighter Engine Engine
Add: Steven A. Sanfilippo 4 207
Paragraph 2.1.1 of Supplement No. 44 to Department Order No. 44, dated May 16, 2019, titled Appointment
of Probationary Firefighters has been amended by adding the following members, as follows: Sho Yokotagawa
Haoyi You Matthew Zay Dylan Zipf

I?m dying here for two reasons......this must be Steve SanFillippo?s son.....why was he in Eng 4 in first place and why would you go to 207??  What?s the point of having some ? juice??

Secondly, what is the story with these names of of probies as an afterthought?  Lololol.  A special order of non American names

As for your second question, I would think those names were inadvertently omitted from their appointment D.O. 
If you notice, their names would have been last of their proby class, listed alphabetically.
Concerning your first question, I don't know the member transferred, but as someone who covered on Water Street, South Street, and Tillary Street, what is wrong with those places?

It caught my eye because those are the four craziest names I may have ever seen bunched up on an FdNY order.
As far as the two companies go, every company has some redeeming value to its neighbors for sure, and I?ve worked in both of them so we will disagree.  I?ve never heard of anyone with a favor in their pocket ask for their kid to go to a house that does their level of fire duty.  Every chief worth his salt on this job has sent his kid to a marquis house or at least a marquis battalion.  Just struck me as very unusual

Bulldog

Bulldog
enginecap said:
Every chief worth his salt on this job has sent his kid to a marquis house or at least a marquis battalion.  Just struck me as very unusual.
Maybe he just wanted to break the kid in right!

enginecap?

if I worked in Engine co 4 or Engine co 207
I would take offense to your comments
and your timing of this comment is out of line (9/11)
the members of both E4 and E207 gave the supreme sacrifice on 9/11 at the WTC
never forget..no matter where you worked

tem217 said:
enginecap?

if I worked in Engine co 4 or Engine co 207
I would take offense to your comments
and your timing of this comment is out of line (9/11)
the members of both E4 and E207 gave the supreme sacrifice on 9/11 at the WTC
never forget..no matter where you worked

"enginecap", as you can probably guess, as a member of the FDNY, I have the "highest respect" for "you", as well as ALL of you're Brother and Sister Firefighters.

Also as a Retired Fire Captain from Norwich, Ct, a small city of about 40,000, I would like to tell you what One FDNY Member once told me as the very busy FDNY War Years were in progress.

When I told him that I was on the job in Connecticut, but that I certainly can't relate to the job that you are doing, that firefighter said something to me that I never forgot.

He said to me: "Did you ever fight a fire" ? I told him; "Of course I did".

He then said to me: "WELL BROTHER, THE SMOKE AND HEAT IS THE SAME HERE AS IT IS THERE".

I NEVER FORGOT THAT. He respected "me" as a Brother Firefighter. The same as I respect firefighters today for the job they do.

As a firefighter, no matter where they are, at some point, "we all get our moments when things just seem to get a little shaky". Anybody who's been there can relate.

I have gone to funerals for firefighters not only in NYC, but in Worcester and Boston, Mass., Providence, RI, Bridgeport, New Haven, Waterbury, even New London and Branford, Ct.

Before my time, a good friend of mine, who was a Lt in Norwich, Ct responded to a truck on fire. As they started to put water on it, there was a huge explosion taking the lives of FOUR Norwich, Ct Firefighters and seriously injuring my friend and another fire fighter.

So I ask you Brother, to please understand that every guy or gal that goes out those doors on those Big Fire Trucks never really knows if they will ever get back again. Will they ever see their families or friends again. There are NO PROMISES MADE no matter which firehouse they work in. And for the guys who are out there as Volunteer Firefighters, the guy from Branford, Ct who died, was a "Volunteer" Firefighter who gave his life inside a burning building.

When we say the Fireman's Prayer, we say; "Pray for them as they go past - every ride may be their LAST". There's a lot of truth to that no matter where you are.

Well said Bill. Such comments are not only inappropriate on 9/11, they are always inappropriate. It would surprise me to find out that anyone making comments such as this would actually turnout to be a firefighter.

YeAh yeah yeah....I get all of that.  I am well aware of who paid the ultimate Sacrafice....I felt the ground shake myself.  I kneel to those who perished.    It?s not the point at all.  Point is, if your dad can get you any where in city, and he wants you to learn the job, and gain respect of the men upon promotion he doesn?t send you to what we used to call C companies.  Come on, it?s not that hard to understand.  EVERYONE I associated with came on the job for one thing only....fire duty.    Hell, it shouldn?t surprise me though with the way today?s job is heading, maybe that?s not important anymore

Simple solution Cap, go visit the members involved in your dilemma and inquire face to face. Saves a lot of "what if's" doesn't it?

memory master said:
Simple solution Cap, go visit the members involved in your dilemma and inquire face to face. Saves a lot of "what if's" doesn't it?

"enginecap", I think "memory master" presents a very good point.

Another quick story. This one about my brother, George.

We both got introduced to the FDNY way back in 1968 and we were BOTH HOOKED. He was 13 years old and I think I was 18 or 19. I write about it in "My Younger Buff Years" story on this site.

A few years pass by and my brother gets on the job in Bridgeport, Ct in 1977, just as that city was beginning their own set of very busy War Years. He gets assigned to one of the slowest engine companies in the city, even though our dad was a Capt on the job. As the city starts burning, most of the time he just relocates.

But things start to change after his "probie" time. He now gets assigned to Ladder 5, the busiest ladder in the city. A few years later he gets promoted to Lt and works another busy Ladder Co. Then gets sent back to Ladder 5. Within two weeks of that he responds "first due" to the WORST Construction Accident in the State of Ct. That construction accident took the lives of 29 construction workers.

As a Lt he then gets assigned to Bridgeport's only Rescue Co called: Squad 5 then. He goes to every working fire in the city and during that time, Squad 5 responds to more good jobs than any other company in the entire state. I think it was like "810" working fires in 1983/84. But MORE than Two a Day.

He gets promoted to Captain where he is assigned Engine 10 on the east side as the place is burning up.

Later promoted to Battalion Chief, one of two battalions that covers half the city.

He's now retired from the job but we talk about it all the time. YES - the job has changed. He started out in one of the SLOWEST Companies in the city for whatever reason. But it sure didn't end that way. For the next 20 plus years it was "work every day". I used to be driving home on I-95 from chasing the fires in NYC and could see the fires burning from the highway, so I'd stop. Whether it was Firefighter Dennis, Lt Dennis, Capt Dennis or Chief Dennis, it was the same Probie Firefighter that started out in one of Bridgeport's SLOWEST Engine Co's.

Of course, "I'm very proud of him for what he did" and "when my father was still around, he was very proud of him too". The same as he was proud of his other son that became a firefighter in Norwich, Ct.

memory master said:
That?s not necessary....the DO speaks for itself.    I assume you were never an active member of the FdNY?  Where are you from?  Fire service or buff?

Well we were just broken in different then....no foul.    Every single time I went to work I was hoping for a kick ass fire.  It?s a big job.  That?s not the case with everyone.  Still makes me scratch my head though.

Bashing companies and individuals doesn't reflect being broken in right. When I was on the job, I quickly learned (from the senior men) that there were some excellent firefighters who were assigned to less active companies as there were some not so great firefighters assigned to busier companies (talked a good game, pounded their chest a lot, etc.). We referred to the job as "a brotherhood" and had a level of respect for all who carried themselves in the best way possible. 

BTW, what companies are doing all this fire duty that you are referring to? The stats show lot's of companies running to EMS calls and non fire emergencies, but not many doing anywhere near the level of fire duty from the 80's and 90's, let alone what the brothers were doing in the war years.

Came on the job in 1960, we did what we had to do. Those who will come on the job in 2020 will do what they have to do, with very few exceptions. Wrote about one of the best in Remembrance, reply #10.

******* said:
Came on the job in 1960, we did what we had to do. Those who will come on the job in 2020 will do what they have to do, with very few exceptions. Wrote about one of the best in Remembrance, reply #10.

THANK YOU CHIEF, (*******)

This is that Remembrance story that you mention here which includes Reply # 10.

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,54042.0.html