Rescue Medics

Hi
I posed this question under a technical rescue thread on manhattan, but thought it would be better noticed here.

The Rescue medics i assume are referred to on the radio as rescuexXX or XXrescue.

Are they  automatically  dispatched to technical rescue boxes and hazmat boxes?

Once on scene do they gain access to the patient, via line, or sub surface means, and apply medical care and stabilisation to the patient in instances where the patient is trapped or high angle, and provide guidance and assistance to FDNY rescue and squad companies as regards the patient(s)?

Do they work closely with NYPD ESU and FDNY Rescue and squad companies?

Many thanks guys

JT

"Rescue Medics" operate within their assigned areas as an ALS unit and have the radio designation of "xxR." When specifically called to a job as "Rescue Medics" they interact with FDNY companies under the direction of the Incident Commander. They stabilize and treat the patient while extrication procedures are in process until completion. These medics have attended training program(s) at the "Rock." Hi-Angle and Collapse operations, among others, are learned and practiced during this training. I've been away from the job for almost four years and I do not remember if they are assigned on any 10-xx signal automatically or it's a special call. As a retired Lt. in FDNY EMS I had occasion to have them special called to a scene once or twice. Of course, FD or PD Incident Commanders have the option of special calling them to any and all scenes as deemed necessary. I hope that gives you some answers to your questions.

For any Matrix we send out that require a Rescue Task Force, we must make a request to EMD for them to have a Rescue Medic Assigned as a part of the task force....

mack

Administrator
Don't regular ALS medics interact with FD units and Incident commanders at jobs?  Shouldn't all medics be capable of performing life saving duties for extrications and rescues with FD?  How do you ensure a Rescue Medic unit is available for "special jobs?". Seems closest ALS unit should get assignment and go to work with FD as needed.

HCO

HazTac Rescue ambulance personnel are trained and equipped beyond HazTac/ALS operations.  They are qualified in Confined Space and Collapse Rescue (40 hours each), Confined Space Medicine and Crush Medicine Syndrome (24 hours), Trench Rescue (20 hours), High-Angle Rescue (20 hours) and Water Operations (8 hours). Eleven Rescue ambulances are assigned throughout the five boroughs.

mack

Administrator
Seems like another redundant rescue layer.  Nice training but Police Emergency Service, FDNY Rescue and Squad Companies would seem to be primary agencies to effect rescue.  They have the tools and experience.  ALS medics would seem to have the best value as - medics.

HCO

The purpose of utilizing rescue paramedics is not to create a new layer, but to add the medical layer to the rescue layer so that urgent medical care can be initiated as quickly as possible rather than delayed until rescue/removal is carried out. The rescue paramedics are trained and equipped to function as a component of the rescue operation.

mack

Administrator
HCO - Thanks for your explanation.  I do understand and appreciate the role of ALS personnel.  I just think that you can't efficiently save a handful of additionally trained ALS medics for specialized jobs only and not use their skills for the day-to-day "routine" chest pain/difficulty breathing/altered mental status calls they are needed for.  And, if they respond to all the "routine" ALS calls, they might not be available for the "rescue" ALS calls, if you follow my reasoning. 

If these skills are important - and I believe they are - why don't all medics receive advanced training so any ALS unit - the closest available ALS unit - can arrive rapidly and work effectively with FDNY and NYPD personnel? 

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
MACK.

It's all about money.  The Rescue Medic unit carries allot of extra medical gear towards treating patients in a collapse area of other strange incident. They are also the Medics on the FEMA USAR team, so training comes from FEMA which I wouldn't be surprised if they pay most of the costs.

There are also Medics that want nothing to do with Rescue portion, so they pick people who are willing and able to do the work.

I will make up a list of all the extra stuff they have.  FDNY SOC is in charge of removing the patient and the medic is in charge of keeping them alive.