Reserve Engines

Engine 510 has ex-Engine 39. Here is a photo I took of it yesterday.

Engine 509 has also been replaced ( ex- Engine 80 ), still at engine 68. I will also attach a photo I took of it a few days ago

I found a picture of engine 509 when I visited a few years ago and it had a 2002 engine. Not the best photo but you can see it

Attachments

• IMG_1035 (1).jpg
    IMG_1035 (1).jpg
    304 KB · Views: 52
Probably not this year not for sure next year gonna see some replacement Reserve Ladders, All of them at Rock are 2001s and 2002s. They have a 2001 Tower Ladder at the Rock also. Only one or two 2003 engines. About 5 or so 2008 and some 2009 rigs at the rock now.

Who is responsible for starting and driving the reserve units when they are in the firehouse?

From the houses I've been to that have reserves they start it up weekly, typically every Sunday. They have to make sure it runs. That's all they have to do. Those rigs have nothing to do with the houses it is assigned to

The Unit that a Reserve is assigned to be stored at is Responsible for that Rig including maintaining it's readiness to Respond as well as being Responsible for the actual parts on the Rig ....Lights...Siren...Radio...etc....etc....a Reserve is fully equipped with Hose .... a complete inventory of Fittings...Hand Tools...Ladders ....etc ...etc.....the CPT of that Unit that it is stored at is held accountable for all of this....during the time when I was the CPT of 275 we stored a Reserve Pumper & from time to time "things disappeared" requiring "finding" a replacement OR filling out more than a little paperwork explaining it....at some point while I was still there The Job wisely (first) issued a locked wooden chest & subsequently issued a construction site type steel JOB BOX with a case hardened padlock ....this was a good step in safeguarding the easily liberated tools ..... in general it was a pain in ass & the Rig took up space on the apparatus floor.....awhile after I had transferred to 126 the Reserve Pumper was moved out to make more room for 133 when they were organized.

Last edited:
The Unit that a Reserve is assigned to be stored at is Responsible for that Rig including maintaining it's readiness to Respond as well as being Responsible for the actual parts on the Rig ....Lights...Siren...Radio...etc....etc....a Reserve is fully equipped with Hose .... a complete inventory of Fittings...Hand Tools...Ladders ....etc ...etc.....the CPT of that Unit that it is stored at is held accountable for all of this....during the time when I was the CPT of 275 we stored a Reserve Pumper & from time to time "things disappeared" requiring "finding" a replacement OR filling out more than a little paperwork explaining it....at some point while I was still there The Job wisely (first) issued a locked wooden chest & subsequently issued a construction site type steel JOB BOX with a case hardened padlock ....this was a good step in safeguarding the easily liberated tools ..... in general it was a pain in ass & the Rig took up space on the apparatus floor.....awhile after I had transferred to 126 the Reserve Pumper was moved out to make more room for 133 when they were organized.
Company is not responsible for driving it, pumping once in a while on it, etc

I found a picture of engine 509 when I visited a few years ago and it had a 2002 engine. Not the best photo but you can see it

UPDATE:
I found a better picture I had of 509. The shops number on it was SP02026 Ex E295 and I found it on the IAA website for sale.. I tried looking for it again to send the link here but couldn't find it so I guess it's gone forever...

On that note, a guy named FDNYSupply ( who also bought the old 2004 engine 229 ) has bought Reserve 500 ( SP02020 | Ex E241 ) and also plans on restoring it

Adding on, this is now Reserve 500 ( SP08025 | Ex E250 ) From what I've seen reserve 500 is normally used as a temporary rig for the companies that go to funerals.IMG_5588.jpg

I will be going back to 319 soon where Reserve 523 is stored and I will update here if it's still the 2002 Seagrave or if it has been replaced

UPDATE:
I found a better picture I had of 509. The shops number on it was SP02026 Ex E295 and I found it on the IAA website for sale.. I tried looking for it again to send the link here but couldn't find it so I guess it's gone forever...

On that note, a guy named FDNYSupply ( who also bought the old 2004 engine 229 ) has bought Reserve 500 ( SP02020 | Ex E241 ) and also plans on restoring it

Wow this was just in service a few days ago.