Riding Positions

Can someone help me out? I am looking for the FDNY riding positions, the assigned tools and tasks to be performed for the following units...Engine, Truck, Squad, Rescue, etc.

If you can get yourself a copy of Fire Department of New York an Operational Reference. The info you are looking for consists of several pages and is very detailed. You can get a copy at The Bravest.com :)

Ladder company staffing is 1 and 5 consisting of an inside team and an outside team Inside team consists of the officer, forcible entry with ax or maul, halligan and hydraulic tool. Extenguisher is the can man with a 6 foot hook and an extenguisher. Outside team is outside vent with 6 foot hook, halligan or saw, roof with a 6 foot hook halligan and life saving rope and the chaffeur with tools as required

Here's a list of tools commonly used by truck cos:
http://nycfire.net/fdny/ladder_ops/tools
Inside team consists of the Officer, Irons, and Can
Outside team consists of the LCC, Vent, and Roof

Engine company riding positions are as follows.Driver,officer control,nozzle,back up,and door in engines that run with an officer and 5 fire fighters.In engines that run with 4 and 1 the control firefighter takes on the role as the door position also.In trucks there are 5 firefighters and an officer.Driver,officer,irons can,roof,and outside vent.

Rescue- Officer, Chauffeur, Roof, Irons, Hook, I cant remember the last one.
Squad (as Squad)- Same as Ladder Co positions
Squad (as Engine)- Same as Engine Co positions

Ok so this is an old topic but i was wondering do chauffers rotate along with the other positions or does the same person always get assigned as the chauffer?

F

fone45

TFiq said:
Ok so this is an old topic but i was wondering do chauffers rotate along with the other positions or does the same person always get assigned as the chauffer?

Yes, chauffeurs do rotate in other positions. Each company usually has 4 "seated chauffeurs", 4 "back-up seated chauffeurs", and a few "qualified chauffeurs". They are spread out in the group chart as to cover each tour.

"Seated chauffeur" usually drives when they are working. That's a guy the with experience behind the wheel that the company captain assigns as a regular driver. (If 2 seated chauffeurs are working at same time it's decided by: seniority, or who's on regular tour vs. a mutual, or the officer decides.)

"Back up seated chauffeur" drives if no seated chauffeur is working.

"Qualified chauffeur" usually has less experience driving and drives if none of the above is working.

Take a look at the FDNY videos on Ladder and Engine Companies, and EMS

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/media/video/fdny-series/index.shtml

I keep getting a message that the page you reference (http://www.NYC.gov/HTML/Fundy/media/video/fiduciaries/index.HTML) is outdated and has been deleted; do you have any further info?

Thanks.