Riding question

I remember back when I was riding the back step it could be fairly scary at times.  With the condition of the streets, there were many times when your feet were not on the back step; instead, you would find yourself in mid-air.  The brothers all helped each other but putting an arm around the back of the brother next you.

Question is: what was it like riding the side of an aerial back then?  Did you feel the street conditions the same way.  In my memory the men were further apart and could not help each other.  Never rode with a truck company but I know there are many on this site who did.

I also remember when our rig was hit by a speeding car while we were responding.  The jolt to us on the back step was amazing;  fortunately no member was injured.

John,
With the 53/56 ALF's, 59/60 Macks, 62/63 Seagraves we all huddled around the motor compartment, held on and, like the engine, watched out for each other. The riding positions felt more open than than the engine. We all felt the street conditions and tried to react accordingly.You could really take a good jolt.  There were plenty of hand holds, so sometimes we held on with two hands if possible. When the plywood roofs were installed, they provided additional places to hold onto.

On the wooden aerial spares where we rode the side running boards, we found a riding position based what was there to hold onto and just held on. Again we felt all the road conditions, but the trailer seemed to even things out, unless it was a major pot hole.

I can say the same just as 1261 truckie. Many times I rode the side of DCFD tractor trailer tillers, the ride seemed smooth with plenty of handrails provided and large running boards. You could loop your arm over the handrail and finish dressing. I wrote a story about my good friend Philly I worked with in DCFD, he was involved in an accident when another engine broadsided the tiller rig he was riding, see 'Glory Days, reply 274'. Riding alongside the rig instead of behind it you were exposed to the weather and wind. Sometimes rain hit your face feeling like bb's and wind could sting.

When I was detailed to TL 58 before enclosed cabs and rode sitting on the turntable holding onto the handrails that surrounded the turntable. We got whacked in the rear of L 112 on New Years Eve, everyone saw the car coming down Myrtle Avenue as we were crossing and the vehicle just smashed into the back of the rig, spun around and headed back in the other direction. The rig sustained minor damage and we hardly felt a jolt, but we were also enclosed in the cab then.

Truck 14, in front of E 21 quarters during my time there.